Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Mods. Round 2.

Originally posted by robertf03

didnt you experiment with fire when you were a kid
    I say keep a couple of chunks of the magnesium for the camp fire at the next trip. I always wondered what a pound of that stuff burnin would be like considering how cool little shavings of it was.

God I use to love blowin **** up when I was a kid. I was a little pyromaniac.

You can grind on it safely, but I'd stay away from the torch. Ti does the same thing. I've had several people that install our products in towers talk about Ti dust flashing...really nice blue flame that dances across the vessel wall. Creepy if you're not expecting it.

Originally posted by LostIt

I say keep a couple of chunks of the magnesium for the camp fire at the next trip. I always wondered what a pound of that stuff burnin would be like considering how cool little shavings of it was.

I think Brandon's got a big chunk of magnesium in his shop that will never see any use

I was planning on just using the sawzall, then smooth with a grinder. And I won't throw out the magnesium, it's got to be fun stuff.

That guy just emailed me back that he still has the wheels and tires. Maybe I'll go get them after I wake up tomorrow afternoon.

And I'll be working outside.

I've heard of grain bins exploding. The fine dust from grain is highly explosive.
    Last edited by eight; 05-09-2003 at 03:04 PM.

Got a new inspection so now the jeep's ready to be cut apart and I've got a year to make it legal again. Even has a working parking brake. I'll have to undo all the extra vacuum lines the make it run right again.

Got the front axle together finally. One of the plastic nobs on the hubs was broken where a pin goes through. Had to drill some new holes in it and now the dial doesn't line up with "Lock" and "Free". But it works.

Then unloaded the rear axle and removed the broken bolts. Thought I was gonna have to go kick Cajun's ass cause both hubs wanted to spin like it had a limited slip. But then I got only 1 to turn. I guess it was just stuck, so he's safe.
    Last edited by eight; 06-18-2003 at 02:44 PM.

Originally posted by eight
    Thought I was gonna have to go kick Cajun's ass ...
    So just how big a boy are you?

-Roy D. Mercer
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Maybe should hav thrown in a . Probably couldn't even do it with the help of SKS.

That axle did have a fawking limited slip. It just had no limiting left to it. I was still able to weld it up good. Just used some 3/8" plate cut 5/8" wide and 1.5" long between the side gear and carrier. Seems like the axle sat for a while and then was fixed up, then abandoned again soon. It's now looking nice and pretty in flat black with a differential guard and some shaving to match the front. Got about 5/8" off this one. And it's a bitch to get those ribets out of yj spring clamps.
    Last edited by eight; 06-18-2003 at 02:46 PM.

Glad the axle is working out for you. I'm also relieved to hear that no one wants to kick my ass.

Oh, you're avoiding grain dust because it's highly explosive but you're going to grind magnesium? What exactly do you think that does when it flashes?

Almost pulled a doug. On the narrow tracks last wheeling, I showed my dad why I needed bigger axles. I fell off a ledge into a rut with the driver's side and felt the passenger side come off the ground and then go back down. Wouldn't have been any damage as I was up against a ledge on the other side and it would have only gone about a foot. And it was fun.

Krawler68
    Originally posted by eight
    Almost pulled a doug. And it was fun.
    see...another person sees the light.

I think my problem is I feel the tire come up and then settle, then I figure everything is OK, and continue on the same line...

Doug

Got the rear in. Still flexy. I used 8 leafs. What you don't notice is that the back sits 3" higher than the front. The pics about 8" of stuffing. Somehow my picture of the other side and one of the underside left the camera. That's ramped on some 32" high horses that are on a hump.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by eight; 06-18-2003 at 02:47 PM.

Testing for axlewrap. Didn't have any.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jeeps mostly done and back in College Station. Still need front brake hoses, a u-bolt, jam nuts, shocks, extend front driveshaft, and misalignment washers. Anybody got some extra misalignment washers laying around?

Steering ended up with the tie rod above the knuckle and the drag link hooked to a high steer arm. Don't know exactly what that's called. Got the 35s on and mounted on ugly 7" wheels in the front and 9.75" ones in back. The welded front diff is hardly noticable on dirt and still fine when I tried it on the highway. Then I lost my rear drive shaft flat towing it up here with it disconnected. But I went back 20 miles and found it in the middle of the highway.

No more cute little scrambly, this thing looks mean. I'll put a pic tomorrow. Inside edge of tires are 2" inside the fenders.

Note to self: top off front diff fluid.