Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Mods. Round 2.

Here's some of the axle shaving on the rear. Took the lip down even with that little hump in the middle. .25" less than the AMC 20 was.
    Last edited by eight; 07-25-2003 at 11:03 AM.

Lift turned out to be about 8" I think. May adjust the height some after it settles.
    Last edited by eight; 06-02-2003 at 09:20 PM.

Moved front axle forward 1". Looks like the rear moved back too but all I did was swap to yj front springs + some of my old leafs. Rear drive shaft length worked out fine because of the more lift and longer pinion.

Another note to self: notch skid plate.
    Last edited by eight; 06-02-2003 at 09:27 PM.

I got the drive shaft back in with a new joint. Did some other little ****. And ran all over town finding parts today. Still needed are 3/4" jam nuts which should be in at Ace wednesday, front brake hoses made tomorrow at Bryan Hose and Gasket if the fittings come in, and misalignment washers. Anybody know a source for the washers in town? I might have to make some. In that case, anybody got a drill, 3/4" bit, and chop saw I can use? I could get by without the chop saw. Trying to finish before llano this weekend. And a rear axle seal is leaking now, I think it's the one I replaced too.

If it becomes an emergency you can send your crap with detailed instructions to my work via our African buddy Emmanuel.

Yep, maybe put him and you to some good use. My idea for making the washers involves big lug nuts, a 3/4" drill bit, and maybe a chop saw or something to cut it shorter.

WTF, I cant' find where the breather hooks to on the front axle. It's not there and there's no hole for one I think. Anybody know where its supposed to be? I've been getting parts by calling it an axle from a 77 K20.
    Last edited by eight; 06-02-2003 at 08:34 PM.

The only use Emmanuel will be to you is in transporting the stuff. I actually let him play with the welder once. It was quite entertaining. He's learning a lot of stuff out there though.

fbronco86
    dang ryan looks alright

Looks like the best $2 I ever spent on it. Dark grey with little metalic blings in it. I think I like the 16.5x 7 wheels. So what if the tires wear more in the middle, it's a $75 set. Anybody got 2 more of them? I think they come from a ford. They say Firestone and Canada on them. And they have a safety bead. I got to use my welder today too. Maybe finish the air after I do some homework while its hot. My leg is bleeding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by eight; 06-11-2003 at 02:25 PM.

i say leave the tires just like they are - narrow in front, wide in back.....dont ask just think.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Me think if I air down the rears much below 12 psi I'll lose a bead and it's a bitch to reseat them.

I got some front shocks today. I stopped by Xtream offroad looking for misalignment bushings (they even knew what they were) but they didn't have any. I ended up building my own. They had some 14" travel BDS shocks in stock so I bought a pair for $25 each. Nice people too.

I turned up the pressure and volume in the steering pump. Turn the wheel with my pinky finger now. Here's some links with info on this. WTOR and Weed
    Last edited by eight; 06-11-2003 at 04:17 PM.

Dammit. I just burnt out the rectifier bridge on my welder, I think, probably just 1 diode, smokin. Guess I'll head to radio shack and see how big of doides I can find. Any other place in town that might sell that stuff?

Extended the front drive shaft but then it died when I was tacking up the shock mounts. Must remember, low duty cycle.

try midstate electronics down on texas at the bend in bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

That's what radio shack said too. But I was cruisin and thinkin, and I thought, my dad has a 3 month out of warrenty dead 225 amp miller AC/DC cracker box. There must be some big diodes in there and I'm sure they're not the reason its dead. Have to look next time I go home. I did some testing and in fact, I have a shorted out negitive diode. I did find some 70 amp diodes at O'rielley but they're $11 each, I need 6, and I'd still have to build some type of heat sink. And I doubt the diodes I had were really 50 amp like I thought.