Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Mods. Round 2.

Well, just to say I haven't abandoned this project, the t4 is now resting with all my other old jeep drivetrain parts. Its being replaced with a np435. And while everything is out I'm putting 2 stics and the 300 is clocked 1" higher than the 435 bottom. And I'm to build a new bad dood skid plate. I'm taking the no aftermarket adapters approach. Only high precision tools used so far are a drill press, high powered dremel, and a plasma. The 300 to 435 adapting part is done, and I just got the bellhousing bolted onto the 435. Its gonna be 2" longer so I'll have to call up high angle and order new driveshafts.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    ...so I'll have to call up high angle and order new driveshafts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Its gonna be 2" longer so I'll have to call up high angle and order new driveshafts.
    yeah, what happend to the square tube DS's..or fabing one up yourself...I've lost all respect........
    next thing you know you will be doing commercials for Autozone!

"I go to autozone for their lifetime warranty u-joints!"
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Got the twin stics done. And built some shift nobs that i hope are stainless steel, haven't rusted yet. I don't get to work on it much cause kurt got a jeep and the little F-350 broke.

Well, now everything's broke, except the jeep, which would be ok. F350, Dodge, Excursion, Boat, etc... dam kids..... And I guess jeep's gettin 38s, so it'll be broken too. Be a month before it makes in back to College Station.
    Last edited by eight; 12-06-2004 at 02:39 PM.

True Hollywood Stry
    [QUOTE=eight] And I guess jeep's gettin 38s, so it'll be broken too.

damn kopecki is gonna be abusing the u joints for life program with 38's under that bad dood.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Oh I'm allready abusing it. Kurt stold my spares and put dried out ones in the boxes, he figured I could just go trade em in.

The dodge 435 has the right output shaft size and spline count, and also the right indexing hole in the adapter for the 300. But the shaft was about 3/4" too long so I cut that off. After the splines, the shaft necks up bigger, and the d300 input was now bottoming on it, which necessitated a 3/16" spacer. The bolt pattern in the adapter was wrong so I had to redrill it, that cast steel drills real easy. Then it bolted up, plenty easy enough.

Now to the engine end. The input shaft was ~2" too long, and the input bearing retainer too big. I went to J&P and traded them the dodge input shaft and bearing retainer and $15 for ford ones. The ford parts bolted right in to the dodge transmission. I used a novak pilot bushing just like one would when swapping in a ford transmission. I later found out that you are supposed to remove the factory pilot bushing. Since my transmission now had a ford bearing retainer, that part lined up in the jeep sr4 bellhousing, and I had to drill 4 new holes to bolt the transmission to it. One is real close to the edge, and I had to use a 3/8" bolt, because the 1/2" I used on the others wouldn't have cleared. Also had to gring one side of the head of the 3/8" bolt off so it wouldn't hit the side of the bellhousing. I have no picture of this, so here's some fish.

Twin stick was fairly easy. I just copied CJs.

Skid plate is made of 3/16" plate steel. I used a big ugly metal bending machine to put the 2" drop in it. Then I set it up in place and noticed that the transmission hung lower than the mount, so the skidplate hit it before the mount. A little persuasion from a 12 lb hammer got it to clear. There are 3, 1" bars run across it on the inside for support. Two just before and after the transmission mount, and one more at the back. I have also eliminated the torque arm. Skid plate bolts on from the side with 6, 3/8" bolts. I jacked the jeep up about a foot under the skid plate, and it did not bow. That little thing in the middle is a peice of 3/8" plate, it has two big holes in it for the trans mount bolt heads, and is there just to protect them.

Had to do some cutting on the floor to make stuff fit.

I think the rear driveshaft is gonna be short enough, but I will have to extend the front one, so I brought some special driveshaft making pipe with me. Also gonna have to do somethin about that floor. As you can see above, the trans shifter comes out about 3" below the AC stuff and way forward, so that will be a creative one to buid. Gonna have to build new exhaust, it will be a single 2.5", with a long glass pack.
    Last edited by eight; 09-16-2004 at 03:14 PM.

Well, since it kept eating 258s, lets see how well it plays with this.

And some of this.

I think you have 2 too many cylinders....thats just me though
    Last edited by TxCruzr; 10-04-2005 at 06:06 PM.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

I think it's sexay!

savvyaggie
    did u ever get a throttle body?

Quote Originally Posted by savvyaggie
    did u ever get a throttle body?
    No, but I'm supposed to have one lined up, but its in beaumont.

I now get a discount at Napa.....