Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Something that resembles progress...

Shouldn't take long. I would think about 3 hours or so. PM me your phone number and I'll drop you a line next week when I get back. Thanks for the offer.

~dso
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Originally posted by BMFScout

It is a carb'ed small block chevy, as soon as that thing gets gas it will run like a kitten, I would bet money on it
    thought it was fuel injected, should have no problem with the carb till it gets to the trail... It took me forever to get all my messed up sensors / crazy wiring working right.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Is there a reason you can't just start it in neutral?

I could have, but I knew I wouldn't get to drive it, so why bother.

WILL IT BE READY???
    Scott, FTAC '99

I guess we'll see. Andy and I both took off today. We have our todo list. Either way we'll be there, just not sure if we'll have a POS Cruiser in tow or not. If anyone wants to help, we'll be around the house all day.... across from the White Rhino.

~dso

Wow! Almost 5 mos. later....

Well after a little drinking on Saturday, I somehow got Freddy and Jimmy to agree to come by Sunday to help get the Cruiser running. It hasn't run since I pulled it on the trailer at Katemcy. We talked about noonish. Well noon became one became threeish but we got on it and started making quick progress. We git it started and purring like a tiger. We turned it off so that Freddy could get the timing tab straighted out so that we could put the gun on it. Then crazy **** started happening. It wouldn't start. We worked on it that night until getting too hungry to continue (and because we needed parts late on a Sunday night). They Brothers McBrune decided to stay in Aggieland for the night and get some parts the next morning and take another stab at it. Freddy hated the idea of getting stumped. After a run to the parts store, we had every single electrical component in the distributor replaced. Still no fire. After checking, double-checking, and then some, Jimmy finally noticed a slightly cooked wire on the new coil. After a run to the parts store and installation, BAM, it runs again. I even started it last night and this morning for good measure. SO COOL!

Now the props. I give mad props to the BMF crew. Freddy displayed his 350 guruness and made me a true believer. Guys, I can't thank you enough. I had a big **** eatin' grin all day Monday after we got it running. I'm stoked!

Now I can move on and get my other little things knocked out. Hopefully it will be done soon. Maybe for SA?.... Naaa.

~dso

Well, after Freddy and Jimmy made it much easier to move around, things have started coming together. Cody and Ryan (Hughes Fab) helped this weekend with the skid plate. Made short work of that. I dropped it off today for the 45* bends on the ends. I'll be done by Wednesday. It's very flat.

The intake now has all of the bolts it should. I had to perform a little surgery on the inside of the tank to make the intake hose wouldn't come off again. Installing that hose clamp was fun to say the least. Cody also did some much needed trimming to the rear quarter. I didn't want to, but it was necessary. It ramps 800 - 900? maybe forwards and over 1000 backwards. It doesn't touch on the bump stops or anything either way, the springs just stop giving. I'm happy with it though.

I DROVE the Cruiser to Bryan Muffler to have the leaks sealed. They wanted to charge me $80 on the first call. Then $110 - $130 on the later calls. It took several calls to work it out. Long story short, they owed me a leak test since it wasn't running when I had the exhaust done. They said to bring it back when it was running and they would take care of it. They weren't happy about having to honor that today. First they said it didn't have leaks. Then when I said "what about on the left manifold?". "I'm not sure, I'll check with the guys again." Calls me back, "Oh, yeah, there was a little leak there..... anyway, trying to keep it short... Save your receipts when dealing with them. You might even want to be sure to get everything in writing. When I drove up, he remembered having to push it onto a trailer when I was done, but he couldn't remember whether or not they had installed the manifolds. Go figure.

It's now at Bryan Radiator fixing my ****up. That will also be done tomorrow. Then it's fixing the leak at the steering box, flushing and filling the system, and bleeding the brakes again. Hopefully that will lead to power steering and real braking power. As it is now, I really have to muscle the 42s around corners and "lead" it a lot on stopping. Downshifting is handy.

Still left:

- Finishing the floor
    - Finding out why the freakin' headlights don't work (I know it's got to be a fuse, I just can't find the damn thing)
    - Adding a few bars to the cage. Diagonals.
    - Finishing out the shoulder belt mounts.
    - Finishing out some type of inner fender.
    - Add bar to front hoop (Cruiser style).
    - Adjusting the steering to "center" everything.
    - Weld or install Detroits in front and rear.
    - Attach tailgates (with license plate).

... I'm sure a few other things...

...but nothing that will keep me from wheeling it in between. In just three short years, it's just about trail ready. Post pics Scott!

PS - Mental note. Just because you're able to get it in the garage, it doesn't mean that you'll be able to get it out... once you air up the tires. Oops. I didn't need that molding anyway.

~dso

here ya go - Camera doesn't like the dark...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scott, FTAC '99

aggielr
    nice, glad to see ya got to drive it and are ready to work on it again, such a good feelin eh?

another
    Scott, FTAC '99

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by davido
    I DROVE the Cruiser to Bryan Muffler to have the leaks sealed. They wanted to charge me $80 on the first call. Then $110 - $130 on the later calls. It took several calls to work it out. Long story short, they owed me a leak test since it wasn't running when I had the exhaust done. They said to bring it back when it was running and they would take care of it. They weren't happy about having to honor that today. First they said it didn't have leaks. Then when I said "what about on the left manifold?". "I'm not sure, I'll check with the guys again." Calls me back, "Oh, yeah, there was a little leak there..... anyway, trying to keep it short... Save your receipts when dealing with them. You might even want to be sure to get everything in writing. When I drove up, he remembered having to push it onto a trailer when I was done, but he couldn't remember whether or not they had installed the manifolds. Go figure.
    hehe...funny you should say that. I blew a fuse getting my toy off the trailer today and they said that it was OK, but he said he couldnt guarantee the work around the frame rails that they wouldnt leak if he couldnt start it up...he said that about 4 different times to make sure i understood. I got er runnin' though.

Congrats man, glad to see you're making headway!

stinger7401
    Originally posted by davido
    ...but nothing that will keep me from wheeling it in between. In just three short years, it's just about trail ready.

~dso
    Hmmmmmm can we say San Antonio? C'mon don't puss out now....

AgDieseler

Thumbs up

Good job man. It looks like patience has paid off.