Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Something that resembles progress...

What fuel cell have you decided on? I can't make up my mind on which one I want.

Excellent update!

Well I called to Johnny at RCI (rciracing.com - highly recommended!) and I told him what my measurements were and asked him first what he had in stock (I'm on a tight timeline at this point). My frame rails are 32" apart at the narrowest point in the rear and I only wanted to go 17" max from the rear bumper. Much more than that and I get into a stock crossmember that I want to keep. Also, without the body lift, I only have about 7" - 8" from the bottom of the tub to the bottom of the bumper. I'm not worried about cutting the tub if I have to, but a flat floor is my first choice, plus less work. I also have some space to give as far as dropping the tank a little below the bumper height, which also shouldn't cause any problems whil wheeling. When I looked through Summit, they had a 30 wide x 9 deep x 12 tall, which would work, but it would leave me with leftover space forward/backward and it would make me have to cut the floor to have the remaining couple of inches sticking above the floor. Also not ideal. But when I called, he offered to set me up with a 30 wide x 12 deep x 9 tall. Now we're talking! We talk some more about models and filler necks. He recommends the D-ring style for keeping out contaminates when I open it to fill. The end of the conversation went like this...

Me: Ok, I'll take it.
    Johnny: So how fast do you need it?
    Me: How about Friday? Do you have one in stock? I'm really trying to tie up some loose ends and this is a big one.
    Johnny: Friday, really? Hmm. I think I may have one in the warehouse. Let me go check and I'll call you back tomorrow.
    Me: Cool.

--- Wednesday ---
    Johnny: I'm able to take one off another order. He's not in a big hurry.
    Me: Excellent, so when can you send it?
    Johnny: I'll get it out tomorrow.

So I put it on the co. card.

--- Thursday ---

He called and is sending it out. Plus it's going to be $15 less than what he quoted. I'm very happy so far. I hope the product is as good as the service.

~dso
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for too. Is there a part #, or did they custom put the holes in different places for the vertical one that summit sells? oh, and how much $?

I'm planning on doing the trap door kinda thing that Rick Niel's got in his CJ, is that what you're going to do?

It was $280. There's no part number, just measurements. They basically took one of the 30 x 9 x 12 ones that Summit carries and put the holes on the side (and tipped it up). I'm planning on just putting an access door in the floor to reach the filler. I've actually never seen Rick's, but I was thinking his was on the side. I'll have to dig through old pics.

~dso

Mental note, GM 3/4 ton (D44) & 1 ton (D60) calipers use the same banjo bolt, thus the same fitting. So if you have fittings the same at the frame end, all of your brake lines can be identical.

I ordered 5 brake lines (Bryan Hose & Gasket) so that I would have one spare. I wasn't sure how long I needed, so I got LOOOONG ones (40"). I'll double over the slack if necessary. I hate buying twice.

Mark brake lines off the list. Oh yeah, steering also. I called Flaming River today. They didn't have any premade kits that were long enough. Welcome to my life. The span is 44", I didn't think it was anything special but NO, it has to be different ($). Oh well, it's in the works now.

Matt from WTOR is sending a pitman arm, should be here today. Cody said he's start on the spacers on Monday. Now a call in to AA Mfg. for tabs and such and a followup to ORD to see how the twin stick is going, and I'll be ready for the weekend. Painting and welding all weekend. Woo hoo!

Hmmm, progress. (in my best Homer voice)

lata suckas! ~dso

Damn. Where'd ya get all that money from?

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Actually, money has not been a problem. But I see where you're taking this. ... and that never hurts. Now that I think about it, I think I need to go make a deposit.

Motivation and time have been larger factors. Andy coming in to help provided the spark. Lots going on now. A deadline always helps also. If I were in college still, I'd wait until the night before. But I don't think I can just pull an all nighter to get this thing going. Oh, back in the day....

~dso

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I rolled by your house in the Patrol saturday around 3:30~4:00 and nobody was there, the cruiser looked the same as the last time I saw it. House was open, fuel cell looked good on the kitchen counter...
    Hope you made some progress this weekend
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

More progress last weekend...

Cage is done.

Twin sticks are in.

The Hughes Fab spacers are in.

The manifolds came in today, as did all of the garb from A&A. I'll be able to do the seats this weekend. I'm planning on making it over to Bryan Hose & Gasket tomorrow to have the new power steering hoses made. I needed longer ones than what came with the hydro boost setup. Also, the ends are wrong and need to be switched around a little.

I just talked with Flaming River. They've been a little slow on getting the "custom" shaft out, but they're going to 2nd day it to me for regular shipping price so that I'll have it for the weekend.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    what are you gonna do to cover the hole you cut in the florr board? are you gonna make an access pannel like the ones in jeeps?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

I'm just planning a metal box. A few have suggested having some metal broke to fit so that it's rounded. We'll see. I may do that for the front part, but I'm not to worried about it since most of it is under the seats anyway.

~dso

Don't forget...The jam nuts on the shift linkages need to be tightened, all I did was finger tighten them.

Wouldn't want all our kustom work to come undone at the Party

Krawler68
    I haven't been eating lately... I'll be at the party and "Stupendously Skinny"... I hope I get to see that fat ass pig out there.

Doug

The cage is all welded up. All I need to do is get the hoop to make the diagonals. Anyone have some safety harnesses that I can use for mock up purposes?

The steering shaft is installed. Finally. For being all bolt up parts, that was a real bitch. I'll need some kind of carrier setup for it. That may not make it for the first run. We'll see.

The steering linkage is all tightened up. I'll still need to drill the castle nuts, but it's close.

The brake system is all thightened up. I'm going to get the remaining peices in the morning from NAPA. From the "world famous braking uterus" down to the calipers is all ready to go. A couple of bends and some tightening and it'll be ready to go.

The hydroboost is all setup. I need a few hose clamps, but other than that it's ready to go.

I'll have to revisit the radiator mounting soon. The steering shaft interferes with the stock location. I'm hoping a simple 2 - 3" lift will be enough to get it up out of the way. Hopefully it will still be protected by the front hoop. We'll have to see how all of that works out.

I'm thinking with the last of the brake lines in, the radiator hooked up, and the fuel lines ran, it should be ready to fire up. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'll have the fire extinguisher on hand when my "reminder" pops up.

Hoping to get it on the trailer tomorrow and bring it to Houston to Lone Star Muffler to have the exhaust done. I'm going to pick up the extra hoop (for the seat back diagonals) and the antiwrap bar tubing from the steel yard while I'm down there.

Not in the clear yet, but not out of the running either. We'll see. Tomorrow's another day....

~dso