Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dodge (cummins) tow rig talk

Lift pump is just the cummins term for the fuel pump that delivers diesel to the injection pump. It costs about $300 from dodge or $120 from cummins. Some people replace them with aftermarket pumps like the holley or aeromotive pumps that cost $100-150. Just needs about 14psi and 100+ gph. I think injector pump is something like $1700. It doesn't go out on its own, just if its ran with a bad lift pump. And as far as I know, this is a 24v only problem.

fbronco86
    doug you should get that truck the mexicans had down the street from us. that thing was sweet maybe you can buy it from them. haha to me it seems like all the diesel trucks have some kinda problem with them. so yup i am undecided on what truck i would get if i was gonna get a new one.

Rex
    DON'T GET 4X4!!! More stuff to break and you will take it off-road, not matter how many times you say you won't. I'm assumming you won't put a gooseneck hitch on your buggy, so don't expect to tow your tow rig home. Leave the off road stuff to your off road vehicle. I am certain my f250 handles a lot better than a f250 with a solid front axle, especially if i took the latter off road and bent the tie rod. Oh well, just my $.02

fbronco86
    I see that you have these choices when buying a new truck

Ford = First On Race Day
    Chevy = Cruddy Hick Engine Very Yucky
    Dodge = Digs Own Damn Grave Eventually

Well it looks like the non turbo ford wins again yippee

agjeeper
    You only need to worry about the lift pump and injection pump on the 24 valves. Dodge used the 12 valves up through 98.5. This is the truck I would buy if I was gonna do it over again. The 12 valve motors are all mechanical and can be turned up or fixed very easily and cheaply. All the electrics on the 24 valve motors make it slightly more complicated, thus more prone to stupid failures. If you buy a 24 valve just put in a good mechanical fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it.

Doug, I don't care what people tell you, buy a 4x4. Being an avid off-roader and outdoorsman, there will be times when 4x4 is a lifesaver. Just don't take it rockcrawling and you will be fine.

One other thing to look for is the casting # on the block. A lot of guys are having problems with motors that start with "53" as the first two digits. It is not a huge problem but there have been motors where part of the block was thinner than what it should have been and caused a blow out. Not all 53 motors have this problem. I think they might have produced a small number with this problem and then it was corrected.

Also another good place for information is the Turbo Diesel Register. Join up and check out their forums, more info and help than you ever wanted.

If I think of anything I will post it.

agjeeper
    Another thing about the 12 valve motors, Since you are buying used, if you decided to add a little extra horsepower it is a good idea to swap out the valve springs for some heavy duty aftermarket valve springs. If I remember right, these are fairly inexpensive and will save you from a lot of headaches.

You guys cry that I get a stroke and that there are so many problems with it....

Look what is coming out of the woodwork....

All trucks have problems. It is the luck of the draw.

I think anything in this world is going to have problems....

I chose the cummins because I have seen what they have done in this club and else where, engines are tuned easliy and effectively, and it is what I can afford when I get a job!

Thanks burbach, I'm probably going to get a 4x4, i know how to fix all the **** on them now, and I think i'll be glad i got it in a few situations. Sorry rex, I'll try my best to resist temptation!!!

Also, I thought Cody said the injector pump went out on his old truck and jasons truck??? Those are 12 valves!?

Have ya'll ever heard of the KDP(Killer dowl pin)??? People say they have these problems. Personal experience??
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I've heard of it. I think its more of a problem with the older trucks and was fixed sometime around 96. I know no 98+ trucks have that problem. And I think it's only caused by lots of extra power. Maybe someone else knows more.

And try to get one with 3.55 gears if you'll have 35" or smaller tires. Mine has most power from about 1700 to 2800 rpm. I think 12 valve are more like 1500 to 2600 rpm. Cummins says peak torque at 1400 rpm.
    Last edited by eight; 06-04-2003 at 11:24 AM.

chevsu
    both of our trucks were 24 valve