Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timing

fbronco86

Timing

I want to advance the timing on my diesel, does anyone know how to do it?

Chip

Are there such things for IDIs?

Join The Diesel Stop and ask people who actually can answer your diesel questions.

fbronco86
    theres no chip, you have to adjust the injector pump itself. There is a screw on the side of it, I just dont know how to do it

I don't think it's the screw on the side, I think with your model you should be able to loosen the three bolts holding the pump to the timing cover and then turn it. I think to advance you will need to turn it towards the pass side
    BDR

just turn the distributor, might try running hotter spark plugs too...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

fbronco86
    Brian can yall do it at your shop?

AgDieseler
    If you're talking about the Stantadyne DB-2 pump, then I think the advancement is towards the driver side. But Brian's right, loosen the three bolts holding the injector pump to the front cover, rotate in 1/16" increments. 1/16" is equal to about 1 degree of, and you won't want any more than 2 or 3 degrees. If you have the stock pump on there, then the timing marks should give you a pretty close idea of how far ahead the pulse is, but without a timing light and a diesel adapter, it's difficult to get a quantitative reading on how much the motor has advanced. Adjusting until it sounds right does pretty good. Also, unlike a gasser, the motor can't be running while the three bolts are loose. It would be bad.

The screw inside the pump that you're talking about is the metering valve, and without a turbo, turning up the fuel gets you a lot more black smoke, higher EGTs, and not much power.

Here's a cut away of the DB-2 pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think his uses the Stantadyne DB-3

you people wouldn't know funny if it took a **** on your doorstep...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

No, jimmy, we were just ignoring you. And your humor sucks.

The easiest way is to just have it set for you. You want to be about 2 degrees ahead of the factory numbers. need a fancy timing thing to get that for you. Or you could try turning it youself and see what works best. There is a screw to adjust how much fuel is fed to it. Turn it to where the truck just barely smokes at wide open throttle.

AgDieseler
    I think that Snap On sells the timing tool with a diesel adapter for the low low price of $400.

It's not that expensiveto let a shop do it, and I would definitely pay to have it done. The problem is that many diesel houses don't have the tools anymore since everything is switched to electronic timing in the last ten years.

Brazos Diesel is the closest diesel shop that I know is Detroit and S&S certified, but Ward Ag & Auto is a good place too. Talk to Mr. Ritchey, Floor Supervisor.

fbronco86
    yeah i dont wanna do it my self. Cause i aint gonna lie i dont know jack about diesels. But yes the diesel should be straight pimping when i get it timed. Mr Ritchey wanna help me out this thing?

one other thing i dont think it was a good idea to put on a muffler/glasspack/silencer. I am not sure what the hell it is. I got from Mr. Snatchadams. Jerry what the hell is that thing? But my truck sounds a frat boy's Z71 with a 3 inch body lift and 33's so it sounds pretty gay oh well.

"one other thing i dont think it was a good idea to put on a muffler/glasspack/silencer"

you forgot the words free.

If your truck sounds like a Frat daddy's z-71 with 3" body lift and 33's....step up and add a "no fear sticker" and everyone will think it is one. I seen some that are confederate flag....that is classy with a capital K

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

**** it mike, just straight pipe it!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I wouldn't want you to bring it to my shop for such a small thing cause then I'd have to charge you labor. We don't have any fancy timing checking chingadera....but if we just mark it's location on the cover before we move it then we can play with it and still be able to put it back in the right spot if it doesn't help any.
    BDR