Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Axles

Swapping Axles

I think I am going to swap axles with a guy in Houston. I have 4.10 open and he has 3.55 LS. I can gain 2-3 mpg with those gears. My 4th with 3.55s would be lower than my current OD, and of course my OD would be almost 15% taller. Given the fact that I don't tow huge loads and I don't tow too incredibly often I think this would be a good move for me. i'm averaging about 20,000 miles a year right now...

I just have to make sure they are in good shape. I know I have a nice leak on my right rear...

i wouldn't swap, i wished I had 4.10s in my truck going up hills when towing

Do you have a Powerstroke?

I might have lost a few mph going up steep - for the Mason drive -hills towing a Jeep.

I never lost speed on any hills towing about 10000 lbs with a old powerstroke with 4.10s. With 3.55s, 6000 lbs was fine, and for the big loads, you can run 2800 rpm in 4th up the hills. The truck will seem to take off much faster empty too, as the powerstroke is not a quick revving engine. You'd be better off with the 3.55s if you stay with small tires. But anyway, you'll never do it. Like that other axle swap you'll never do.

Beotch. The first free weekend I get I will be going to Houston to meet up with the guy and do it. He is going to ask friends to help and I might even as well.

The first free weekend after I have the warehouse back in order I will bring the Mazda in and then get to work.

I have too much money in the swap to back out now. All I need now is time.

Swapping tow rig axles will just save me money.

Don't be so negative.

I think people just like talking **** to you so that you will go off on a rampage defending yourself...but what do I know, I am an ******* on the boards
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Hopefully that wasn't a rampage. I was just showing my reasoning and my schedule.

You are most likely right though.

And by the way....

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    speaking from experiance...dont go fawkin with your tow rig...even if it means 100 dollars a year in gas....its just not worth it. something will and always go wrong when you start jacking with it.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

froader03
    I will agree with steven in the fact of not fixing something like that unless it's broken.

also, why is this guy wanting to ditch his 4.10s?

He is wanting to ditch his 3.55s for 4.10s because he has 35s.

We just plan to swap the axles.

I'd do a brake job and probably replace the tie rod end from the drag link because I can't seem to get them off without destroying them.

How would I mess something up?

Originally posted by Chadnutz

How would I mess something up?
    here's one possibility

probably replace the tie rod end from the drag link because I can't seem to get them off without destroying them.
    with 4.10's you should be getting better gas milage around town, especially in a town like College Station where the stop lights are all timed to stop everyone. Its your truck, but if your going for economy, why stop at an axle. I'm sure theres factory motor mounts and a v6 that will bolt right up

nice flem...subtle as a freight train
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    another thing...how will you save money by doing this swap? if you swap axles in the back then you have to do something in the front.

your logic here doesnt make sense. dont fawk with the tow rig....all experiments should be done on the toy vehicle. how do you know that the axle he has is a perfect axle. else why would he want to swap the whole axle instead of just gears? doesnt make sense to me. also 3.55's with 35's is not a bad combo. dougs truck did just fine with it....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Doug told me I was an idiot for wanting 3.55s because it would "throw off my RPMs and make my turbo worthless" Little did he know, the option for the first generation of Powerstrokes was 3.55 or 4.10.

We both have 4x4s and plan to swap both axles. I would obviously go over his stuff to see if they are in the same shape as mine. We both have outer axle seal leaks. It's a 16 mile highway drive to work and a 3 mile drive to the school or rec. I log ab out 75% of my miles on the highway and I drive 65 to keep the RPMs at 2200. It would save me more than $100/year, and would cost me nothing except the fuel to get to Houston and the few parts that are designed to wear out like pads/shoes and the tie rod end.

Why is it such a big deal to swap 2 axles for tow nearly identical axles?

How do you figure changing gears woule be less trouble? That would cost about $400/axle if we exchanged gears and we would be without vehicles for days. Except that I have the Mazda...

My best mileage making powerstroke was a F-350 4x4 crew cab with 4.10s. My identicalish truck except for 2xdrive and 3.55s got just a little less. Wouldn't **** with it.