Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Swapping Axles

Shaggy
    sorry if i took out some of my agression on you. but my beach house got taken out by a tornado yesterday and i am just finding out how bad it is.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    my advice:

get bigger tires but don't lift it. Cut the fender wells, it is possible to do a nice job.

I have 35's and 3:55's, seems to work fine for me. I am still able to pull goosenecks around.

I have to defend Nutz about the Diesel list he is on. I am on TDR - a list for Cummins owners and have learned much more than I thought possible. There are over 16,000 members and you have to pay to join. Tons of valuable info there. I am not sure how the Powerjoke board is but I know the Cummins board is great.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

nutz...just a little input

Your not going to be in college much longer, so i'm not sure what your driving schedule will be in the future. I've been thinking lately, and if I do buy a decent tow rig when I get a job, i don't know if that is what i want to put miles on everyday. I'm thinking about getting a cheap ass economy car. No frills, just some cheap used car for like 4000 that i can put a ****load of miles on it and not feel bad. So what i'm trying to say is, the truck is your daily driver now, but maybe in a a year or 2, it may not be.

So then your tow rig, would have better gearing to tow with, and you wouldn't regret the swap.

If you did do the swap, how many miles does the guys gears have??? Did he tow alot?? Often?? Is it standard?? I've heard if you tow alot with a standard and don't drive it nicely, every time you shift you slap the ring and pinion.

Just remember he is kind of getting the better end of the deal, getting the 4.10's. But i guess i don't know how rare of a package that is.

Oh and Tate, your a fag... what the hell did any of your rambling contribute to nutz???? And not to be mean, but i wouldn't take any mechancial advice from you anyways....
    1988 Blazer...RIP

4.10s and 3.55s are about equally common. He has limited slip and I am open so I don't think he would have been getting the better end of the deal.

I can't bring myself to drive some little 4 banger car to and from work. If I am that concerned about mileage I'll get a crotch rocket. I can't stand being in cars.

fbronco86
    yup you are a fag haha

Remind me of that fact next time I am fixing to drag your IDI and it's trailer back to camp.

i want to see what happens if you do it, and i want to see the space shuttle like electronics in fredos car......
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    nutz...just a little input

I've been thinking lately, and if I do buy a decent tow rig when I get a job, i don't know if that is what i want to put miles on everyday. I'm thinking about getting a cheap ass economy car. No frills, just some cheap used car for like 4000 that i can put a ****load of miles on it and not feel bad.
    my feelings exactly, let me introduce you to my 1987 "international" Honda Civic. (check out the emblem on the front) I call him Honda Steve, kind of like Scuba Steve from Big Daddy. Honda Steve...DAMN YOU!! The A/C works mostly and I have no inclination to swap axles or modify it in any way, other than the emblem of course. The best of all, 20,000 miles a year costs just $913. It is a far cry from that corvette I am getting when I get that phat job, but it will do until I actually have a reportable income.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

fbronco86
    i am not worried about being towed again. Anyway you would not be able to pull me with 3.55 gears haha.

anyway. I dont know if its really worth the trouble to go threw all the pain in the butt to change rear ends. you are not gaining much. if it was up to me i would not do it.

I'm not going to, but I could still pull you with 3.55s.

My motivation for wanting 3.55s.....

$262.42 spent for fuel in one month alone including trips to Houston, Austin, and two to San Antonio.

what the hell are you driving so much for????????
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Austin for sex

Houston for work

San Antonio for work

San Antonio to fix oil leak

From the two work trips i will get $130 for expenses.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    Austin for sex....

coulda probably found a hooker in bryan for cheaper.......but then again, i dont know if there are any gay hookers around here...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    Austin for sex
    why the hell did you have to bring me into this?? you know i dont like you THAT much

since i'm here already i'll have to side w/ the guy who talked chadnutz out of his 4.10s .....TOW RIG....from what i understand that means lots of torque at low RPMs needed, which lower gears will offer. Dont worry about gas mileage...take your foot off the long pedal a little more. thats what i've been doing for about a month and a half now with all my driving between austin, and dallas, and college station, etc. i've figured out that i can improve gas mileage from ~10mpg to ALMOST 12.5 mpg by keeping the RPMs down (below 2800 on the highway, 70mph anyway). Screw you and your greedy azz wanting 17mpg.