Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm Running Out of Fingers...

AgDieseler

Thumbs down I'm Running Out of Fingers...

...to count the number of cRaptors that I've killed.

This makes #5. On our way to Mason, we had just gotten about 15 minutes west of Hearne on 79; BOOM!!! Fourth gear disappears, RPMs skyrocket to 2800 (that's high for me), and the caravan pulls off to the side of the road. I quickly learn that I have not only lost 4th gear, but all forward gears. I still have reverse, but that's not enough to make it to the trail.

After a few calls, Jimmy & Carol Mancuso were on their way to save my ass. In the mean time, we struck up a makeshift camp, and swapped some lies.

Since all I had left was the trusty reverse gear, I had to back the 'burban onto their gooseneck. Now, my truck is a little wide. And it's certainly heavier than the Mancuso's Jeep, so this was a unique experience.

Anyway, I owe a great deal of thanks to the Mancusos. I hope everybody has fun in Mason. I'll be on the phone with Art-Carr trying to get a hold of a new transmission. Needless to say, I won't be doing any more business with the cRaptor people except for that of a refund.

Imobile,

That blows. Sorry man. It's time for an NV4500.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    David, why don't you try to slap a 4L85e in that thing. I don't know how easy that is...but it would be better than blowing up 700r4s.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

AgDieseler
    A 4l80e is a definite possibility, but a T-700 bolts right in without any electronics or driveshaft changes. Also, it's not that I'm blowing up T-700s, it's that I'm blowing up Raptor700s. An Art-Carr fully manual valve body extreme duty T-700 is what we're looking at right now.

Now, how am I going to get this 8,500 lbs, 19 ft beast of truck to Abilene without any forward gears? With another 6.5TD suburban!
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 01-25-2003 at 08:23 PM.

Well, that's a good idea....I bet an Art Carr is nice, but I look at it much like how mustang guys look at the t-5 tranny. They could spend the money on a World Class t-5, or they could just take care of their tranny woes for good and step up to a T-56. So basically what I'm saying is yeah, the Art Carr is going to be better, but why not just step up and take care of your tranny problems for good?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

how hard would it be to make a 4l80e non computer controlled? I dont know much about them but I thought they were all controlled by the ecu?

that things damn near waterproof as it is, no need to go throwing in some fancy electronics

I think that painless wiring makes a shift control box for the 4l60, so i would think they could make one for a 80 or 85. dunno

AgDieseler
    Jet makes a throttle sensor box that tells the 4l80e when to shift. There is no TV cable for a 4l80e, so it has to have some sort of electronics to control line pressure to keep it an automatic.

LilToy
    Dude He was looking out for ya, because orginally i was going to head out there with them, with my Yota' on the back half of the gooseneck. But i felt like crap that Friday and decided not to go. (which i am glad i didnt, i felt worse Saturday) So im glad in a way it all worked out, hope you get it fixed.

AgDieseler
    An Art-Carr T-700 is on order. It's a 400hp unit with lockup, and a 30 spline input. I am not the first diesel to have one of these, so that's encouraging. It's what they call the RV special.

Until then, I will be pimpin' 'round town in my momma's Seville SLS. Bling! Bling!

stinger7401
    stock 700R4 behind a 6.2 diesel that has well over 100,000 on it, damn that stock **** sometimes does work..

AgDieseler
    I'm trying to plan ahead for the 450 lb ft of turbo power that I will have...someday. But you're absolutely right; my original T700R4 lasted 250,000 miles without incident, and went another 50,000 on a regular rebuild.

M A N U A L T R A N S M I S S I O N!

AgDieseler
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    M A N U A L T R A N S M I S S I O N!
    You can bet that when an NV4500 lands in my lap, I'm gonna hang on to it. But right now, I just want a reliable T700. Oxymoron? I don't think so. There are a great number of people that get one to live behind a 6.2/6.5TD, and I think that's the way to go for now.

I think I'll wait for Doug to mess around with swapping in a manual. That way, I'm not the guinea pig on this one.

Shaggy
    my 700r4 is going to the shop next week... many of you have ridden in my 'burban and know how crappy it shifts... well today it started downshifting really bad to where it sounds like **** is breaking... i am gonna try to drive it to waco late next week to go to my shop... anyone wanna make bets on how far i make it down the road
    BTW this is my 3rd one to crap out