Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did a little diesel work today

AgDieseler

Did a little diesel work today

I ran up to Dallas for the 4th, put a 3.5" exhaust on my Dad's 96 6.5TD with a few other mods, did a little bit of tuning on my engine, and realized that I need to do a little redesign work so that changing my thermostats doesn't involve removing the entire crossover pipe. Pics pending.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 07-09-2003 at 01:25 PM.

AgDieseler
    I had 160 and 180 degree thermostats installed, and I wasn't getting the economy I should, and was blowing too much black smoke too early. Living up to my reputation for being anal (I prefer the terms demanding or exacting ), I tested my new 180 degree t-stats before installing them.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 07-09-2003 at 09:52 AM.

AgDieseler
    Because of the low pressure fuel return line is directly in the way of one lower bolt, and I couldn't fit any 15mm tool in there anyway (socket, box end, racheting box end, open end, crows foot, shorty open end, mexican socket,...nothing) I ended up pulling the whole crossover pipe. Not too bad actually, but it sure was easier doing all this on the engine stand.
    Last edited by AgDieseler; 07-09-2003 at 12:00 PM.

AgDieseler
    My modified dual thermostat crossover pipe. This is originally intened for 1997+ 6.5TD with the DS-4 pump, but with a little cutting and welding, it was made to work around my mechanical DB-2 pump. On the way back to College Station, my black smoke was cut in half, my economy went from a solid 15 to about 17. There was no noticeable increase in power.

AgDieseler
    We pulled that sorry excuse for an exhaust system off my Dad's 96 6.5TD, and put on a 3.5" mandrel bent system.

AgDieseler
    It came with a fully welded, louvered muffler. We turned it backwards for better flow, and to hear the turbo a little better.

AgDieseler
    Genuine GM downpipe.

AgDieseler
    This past Sunday, I cut my low-hanging shock mounts off the rear axle. I had already destroyed one at TCC, and figured I had put this project off long enough, so I ordered new 1/4" thick tabs from Poison Spider Customs and picked up some RS9005s. Since I don't have my welder here, I'm going to run by Custom Fab this afternoon, and get the new tabs welded on.

I'll snap a finished pic later, but this shows just how low the stock mount hangs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AgDieseler
    Poison Spider Customs' shock tabs. They measure 2 1/8" tall with a radius of 1 3/4". (pn:BURLEYSML) At $3.75 each, it's a no brainer.

who the **** welded that??? A fab shop??? I could weld better with the mig gun in my ass!!!!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    There might be a problem with 'dirt' in the weld if you did that.

Doug we know what happened last time you tried to weld with your mig gun in your ass.....you may remember the product of this incident....you called it your first bumper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Oh no, that was learning how to Arc weld with the stinger in my ass!!!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Oh yes, I should remember that.....

By the way David that was so nice of you to let those kids in the welding class at the Vocational School for the Blind practice welding on your truck.

PS that axle looks a little scratched...better put some paint on it!!!!!
    Last edited by jerryg79; 07-17-2003 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

AgDieseler
    Originally posted by Snatch Adams
    By the way David that was so nice of you to let those kids in the welding class at the Vocational School for the Blind practice welding on your truck.

PS that axle looks a little scratched...better put some paint on it!!!!!
    I believe the guy's word were, "I'll weld 'er on there real good!" I know it's not the prettiest, but those tabs are on there, and aren't coming off soon.

PS: Jerry, after letting it cool, the first thing I did was paint it.