Thread: more carnage

BigRedFord04

more carnage

my speedometer has been bouncing up and down for a couple weeks now, so i think "no big deal, its just the sensor and i'll replace it when i have $$".....WRONG....evidently the bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier decided they didnt like their home and wanted to vacation into the diff case. bolts rubbing against the tone ring messed up the teeth on it and thats why the speedo was bouncing. also, today i heard a loud pop that i thought came from the transmission....WRONG....either the tone ring or ring gear grabbed one (yeah, thats right, there were multiple) of the bolts and pushed it into the diff cover, punching a hole in it, as well as breaking the head off the bolts that were still in the ring gear. i wouldnt have noticed if doug hadnt said something about all the gear oil all over my bumper and tailgate. so i borrowed hal's car and took him to the airport, then came back and took the diff cover off to find 6 whole ring gear bolts, and 4 w/ the head broken off. it appears to have hollowed out the holes in the ring gear so i'll be replacing that, along w/ the carrier, pinion, all the bearings, etc, etc...i need a new 8.8, anyone got one? preferably w/ 4.88s

-Austin, dead in the water again

Now you wish you bought the truck...

Who installed your gears?

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    Now you wish you bought the truck...

Who installed your gears?
    yeah...figures huh? even still though...4.88s for a 10.25" $450 b.c. they're so new to the market. our friend foley installed the gears and i trust that he knows what he's doing...it definately wasnt the 1st time he'd done 'em. i'll probably have Austin Drivetrain do 'em this time just because they are here and he is in Dallas.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Yeah, Foley may know how to setup gears, but does he know how to install loctite on the ring gear bolts?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    austin....this is the EXACT same problem i had with mine....everything you are mentioning happened to mine and we did put locktite on them...i would go ahead and switch axles now. it will be cheaper in the long run. also if you got the gears from 4WPW then you can warrenty them and get gears for the 9"
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

AgDieseler
    Do it. Real men run eight lugs.

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by Fredo
    Yeah, Foley may know how to setup gears, but does he know how to install loctite on the ring gear bolts?
    sarcasm duely noted... and the answer is yes. we were there when he did it. he told me tonight that he has heard of it a few other times in 8.8s.
    maybe the install was not the problem.. since wolverine's did the same sh!t... i figgggur maybe its a problem with guys who have ginormous heavy ass trucks on big tires that drive like helen keller.