Thread: steering and brakes

stinger7401

steering and brakes

I am converting my 74cj5 to power steering and was wondering if anyone knew of a p.s box that would mount or come close to mounting in the spot where mine is now. Mines under the front radiator like most but is manual.

Also i have manual brakes and would like to convert them to power and was wondering if there is a brake booster that would fit in the on my jeep.

Rex
    On my uncle's willy's, he has a factory bracket on the frame and a regular saginaw box out of a monte carlo under the rad. I have a used box at home that I was going to use, but I am going full hydro. Also, check out AA, they have a complete kit but its $$. As far as power brakes go, most people switch to later model CJ swinging pedals I think.

stinger7401
    Hey Rex
    In 71 they switched to hanging pedals like the 76 and newer models, also i think mine has a saginaw manual box under it. If i already have the hanging setup do you know if i can just get a power booster off a newer one?
    Keep the info comin..... oh yeh and mines a 74 model

Rex
    Well, as far as power steering goes, I think a lot of saginaw boxes were the same, event the manual boxes had the same bolt pattern as power, but I'm not certain. I know that it was a factory option, so you may just be able to order a new box and pump and give them your manual pump as a core. And for brakes, check this site out: http://jeepskate.4x4.org/booster.pdf

ill be your pickup man
    Hey Rex, sorry, trying to get my people and rigs straight, were you the XJ at BMRA that was attempting to climb DeWoody?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Rex
    Yeah, that was me. I knew I probably wouldn't make it (open diffs and a lack of ground clearance), but I really wanted to try and I almost made it to the last ledge, but it was fun to try. It would have been cool to say that I made it up with a basically stock xj on at's!!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    hey stinger....you could get one out of a later model CJ.... ....i mean mine has power everything....guess you should havegotten the CJ-7 package....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."