Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Project: TJ rear leaf spring conversion

Yes, David...WFO. I swapped the u-joint out in Circle K parking lot and kept on going. It spit another cap out on the way home so I salvaged one off the busted joint and babied it home. I just got up, so now I need to go get another collection of 1330 joints for the weekend.

Originally posted by eight
    My guess.

Pinion's allready pointed up for the CV shaft, soft springs wrap, pinion gets too high, joint binds, something bad happens.
    Good guess, but we've already checked it for all those problems. The pinion was pointed at the t-case, then 5* down. The springs relly don't wrap at all, it's really wierd. If I drop the clutch or power brake it the whole Jeep jumps up a few inches front and rear, then bounces up and down a few times and rolls forward. I had everyone at the meeting watching the pinion angle and then had a friend do the same thing I was doing and the pinion never points up past where it should. I know I still need a traction bar for when the leaves break in, but this doesn't seem to be the current problem.

Derek - No, they're kustom packs. It's an XJ main leaf and second leaf with two chevy leaves under that (one has the little spring keeper on the front) and the bottom leaf is the bottom XJ leaf. It ended up close to the right height and it should break in well. These probably won't last long since the three of us collectively have 4 sets of YJ springs, two sets of Waggy springs, another set of XJ leaves, some oddballl j-yard leaves to take apart and a whole bunch of useless Samurai leaves. I'm pretty sure we can figure out a good combination someday.

BigRedFord04
    i've got two sets of rear ford leaves. one is a `78 and one is a `95. if you want 'em for any reason, if for nothing else than to add to the collection, they're CHEAP.

Are they 2.5" wide? That's mostley what we've been 'collecting'.

BigRedFord04
    i dont know about kate's but mine are 3" wide

I'm pretty sure hers are too. I think the preferred F150 leaves are the 2WD ones.

Shaggy
    there is also another set laying close to austin's and kate's off my 80 bronco... they are the same as the 95 but have an add-a-leaf

True Hollywood Stry
    i think i might have some 2.5 inch rear springs off of my 78 ford parts truck in Mcallen, if my dad hasnt taken the truck to the bone yard, but i wouldn't be able to take them off till thanksgiving
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

I don't think we need any more. Paul's wife already complains about the various "useless" **** that's laying around the shop. Thanks for all the offers though...

I figured I'd update with recent pics. We used Paul's engine hoist to "ramp" it a few days ago while the 33s were still on. I picked up a set of 36" SXs this weekend, so this is my Jeep's last night with 33s. I guess I'm going to see how long the D30 will hold up...

A forklift is much easier.

TXsizeK5
    Yup, cause we all have one of those laying around.

Brett, did you get 36x12.50? Where from, how much?