Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn I wanna wheel

Damn I wanna wheel

I spent a nostalgic few hours last night looking through the forum and missing wheeling so bad it is not even funny. Hayley & I are finally wrapping up the closing on the duplex and we may come out a bit ahead as far as money goes, so I need something to waste it on....

That said, I thought I would post my problems and see what everybody's thoughts were.

1. Overheating at low speed - Highway is fine, no room for a mechanical fan so all I have is a 14" electric fan. 4 core copper radiator, trying to avoid spending the cash to go aluminum.
    2. Runs lean whenever I accelerate. Maybe a computer problem, but now we are leaning toward mechanical. Got the suggestion from Lance to take it down to Pick Ups plus to put a scope on it.
    3. Front drive shaft angle - This is a tom woods double cardan, long travel shaft. Those of you that went on my fateful last trip to Llano, will remember that it didn't do so well. It keeps busting the bolts (better than the U joints, I guess). The truck has settled some since then, so it is not quite as bad, but I can hear it knocking on the upper (double cardan) end of the shaft when in 4wd.
    4. Tires & Wheels - Only money will solve this one. I still haven't replaced my TSL/SX's & American Eagle rims since they were stolen a while back. I do still have a BRAND NEW TSL/SX spare & Rim though. I am thinking of just running one set and selling the 35" BFG AT's & black steel rims that are on it now. I have heard good things about BFG Crawlers. I want to run 37"s.

For those of you not familiar with my truck, it is a heavily modified (that is an understatement) 4runner with a TPI 350 in it. More details & pics at the website below.

Thanks in advance for all the help & advice and screw you in advance to all the old fawkers that I know are going to say "I told you so" & I just need to get a new truck.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

To resolve your drive shaft woes you can either go high pinion or dual cases to get a better angle.

Pick Ups Plus is a good place.

Drive Shaft

Thanks nutz...I thought about going with a high pinion setup, but realized it might be more cost effective to just cut & turn the front axle due to the fact that I would need new gears & air locker. At Least I think that is the case, can anyone confirm?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

For the cooling problem you could get dual taurus fans. I know you have the power to run them, I've seen that dual output alternator you have.

I have a scanner that will hook up to your TPI your more than welcome to use it. You'd have to read the book on it, as I have not used it yet.

By the way, it has a 700R4 with a 205 on the rear if I remember correctly.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

The problem with the fans is space. In theory the 14" fan that is on there now should be enough, but something obviously isn't adequate. Do you know the dimensions of the dual fan setup you suggested? I have to mount them in front of the radiator because of the 1.5" water pump clearance.

It is a 700R4 with an NP205. I am not up on the lingo, but I think Lance already hooked up a scanner to the computer & that is how we found the lean problem. I think a scope hooks to the exhaust to judge things like mixture and whatnot.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

You have a Toy front? If so it seems like it would be a bitch to cut and turn. How about that 203/205 doubler or whatever those Chevy guys use? That would give you some length in your drive train.

Yeah it is a straight axle out of an older toy. It can be cut & turned at the knuckles, but that means moving the perches too.

Good point about the doubler. I sure would rather spend my money on low-low gearing and then lengthen the front shaft, versus wasting it on cutting & turning. Anybody know how much a difference it would make? I guess if you can tell me the difference it would add, I can figure out the new angle and call Tom Woods to see what he thinks.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

The 700R4 you have has a cut shaft so the 205 can bolt onto the rear I believe.

A doubler uses the 203 first and the 205 bolts onto the rear of the 203 with an adaptor plate, so your tranny has to have a 203 on it.

Also remember the rear shaft gets shorter as the front gets longer, but the rear axle is usually easier to deal with since pinion angle is easier to set. Plus I think that thing is long enough that this isn't an issue anyways.
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 10-07-2003 at 10:31 AM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

So you are saying I would have to lose the 205 and step down to a 203 to make this work? Aren't they weaker?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

The doubler which is the 203 range box mated to a 205 via and adaptor plate and input gear. The 205 is behind the 203.

So what I'm saying is you would have to figure out a way to put the 203 onto the 700R4.

Normally a 203 is not desirable because most are full time, all are heavy, and they are chain driven. I would not be concerned about the strength of the case at all. I have never broken my aluminum 208.

If you going the doubler route you have to figure out the tranny issue. I'm assuming you want the 700R4 because of overdrive so it is still streetable with the 5.13's.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Yeah, that is why I picked the 700R4. Aren't there some other 2nd xfer case options other than the 205/203 doubler?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

Ok this is taken directly from the ORD site:

GM TH700 R4 / 4L60E Automatic Transmission:
    The TH700 has the same bolt pattern on the back of the transmission as the TH350 and uses a 27 spline output shaft. Since the TH700 only came with the NP208 or later alum t-cases, it's shaft stickout is a little over 2" in factory form. One difference to be aware of is that the TH700 uses 4 metric bolts to secure the adapter to the transmission case.
    There are two ways to bolt to the NP203. They are very similar to the TH350 mounting mentioned above.
    1: replace the output shaft in the TH700 with an aftermarket output that sticks out of the case by about 7/8". This makes the output identical to the TH350 and you use a TH350 version NP203 with the 27 spline input and a TH350 to NP203 factory 1" thick adapter plate. This is the shortest method. The output shaft cost is $160 and it is available from ORD.

2: use the factory TH700 output shaft and the factory TH700 to NP208 adapter housing with a TH350 version NP203. You will have to re-drill and tap holes in the NP203 gearbox to be able to bolt it to the original NP208 adapter housing. You may also have to do minor machine work on the input bearing retainer on the NP203.

You've already cut the shaft on the 700R4. I'm not sure if it is the correct length. If it is all you have to do is find a 203 that is 27 splined. Those are pretty easy to find, I think Eight (Kopecki) has one for sale on this board. Then you would just have to buy the kit. I know there is a vendor on POR that sells them for ~400 instead of the 900 that ORD sells them for.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04

Re: Damn I wanna wheel

Originally posted by 8Runner
    I have heard good things about BFG Crawlers. I want to run 37"s.
    i guess i'll step in and answer one of the other questions since everyone is caught up talking about xfer cases...Krawlers are an awesome off-road tire, specifically for the rocks because they are an extremely soft compound rubber, so the soft tire on the hot rocks of the summer almost stick together. 4 wheel parts i'm sure will have one in stock and i think before you go out and buy a set you should just go FEEL how soft they are. I wouldnt give you 5000 miles before they are 25% tread left. Now on the other hand...Goodyear makes this kickass tire call the "MT/R" that i hear everyone loves. I even heard one review that said it "cleans like mad!". And i'm pretty sure i've seen a couple people who are running some sweet ass 37"s, everyone should have 37"s, i think you should join that club.
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 10-07-2003 at 11:44 AM.