Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard

Motherboard

I think I need a new motherboard. I've narrowed it down to a memory issue and it's my RAM so the only thing left is the motherboard.

I'd like to use the same processor, ram, etc... It's plenty fast for what i'm doing but it keeps locking up. Really sucks when you've done an hours worth of work and it all goes bye bye...

So I'm looking for a motherboard for a 1.4 AMD athlon with 266 front side bus.

Edit: RAM is just plain old PC133

If you have an old one or see one for sale let me know.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    frys is a good place to look

yes, thank you, but I actually thought they wouldn't sell motherboards this old... maybe i shoud look
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 10-08-2003 at 01:03 PM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Fry's still carries the old one asus i used to have but it was PC266 i doubt they carry anything that is PC133 anymore, although sometimes they have motherboards with spots for two different kinds of memory
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Get an ABIT from www.allstarshop.com

I have great luck with them. No need to search for an old crappy motherboard. Expect to spend 90 for the MB with free shipping. You can get good ram for cheap.

I suggest.....

Abit KD7-G with Audio and LAN $95
    Kingston 256MB DDR400 PC3200 $55

You may as well get a nice motherboard and nice ram so when you buy an XP 2.x you will have a pimp computer.

If you don't need integrated Audio or LAN there are other models.
    For any other computer component suggestions PM me.

fbronco86
    try some mom and pop computer shop or something. they are a few in humble. i bet they will have some old crap laying around

I agree with you nutz... but If i'm going to spend 150 I'd rather just spend 500 and get all new pimp ****. My computer still works perfectly fine. I'm actually using it at work right now, it just locks up at completely random times. So if i can spend 10-20 on an old motherboard I'd rather do that right now.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

we had really bad luck with abit at work, and there warranty **** sucked ass,

have you tried ebay yet, i wouldnt want to buy a whole computer off of there but for just the mb i might give it a shot
    So you loose, I win!

Yeah I'm looking on ebay... seems this combination with the pc133 and my chip isn't too common

I guess I might end up getting a newer motherboard like nutz posted and getting new ram
    1988 Blazer...RIP

just get a combo from fry's then for like $150 you can get motherboard and processor. i got my soyo from there and it ran fast as dog **** until my case fried it and my old asus in a week.

Seems i have a short in my powersupply somewhere that has been giving me hell since last year.

For now i use a kickass intel 733, but with my superfast hard drive i really barely notice a difference.
    So you loose, I win!

I've got a computer in my truck now.
    Jerry and Doug are geeks, and are
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I've got the 1.47 gig athlon XP processor with 266 bus on a BOISTAR motherboard. My computer kicks ass compared to equivalent or slightly faster P4s. So it must be the motherboard, I only have 512 of PC133 ram. I also leave one side of my case open to let heat out.

You probably know this, but I'm sure other's will read it too. If you have too many programs running in the background your computer will run slow and lock up. My parents wanted me to order them a new computer so I looked at theirs and the P2 was running about 15 programs because of the stupid kids. I shut them off and they've never had a problem again. Computers also collect a lot of dust which builds heat and causes them to lock up. You can get dry air for electronics at walmart and blow all that **** out. And windows XP is the devil. If you have an older computer stick to 98.

What MB brand hasn't put out at least one board with problems? I've built 7 systems now using Abit - no hardware conflicts no failures.

Doug - What d you mean spend 500 for a bad ass comp?

After that 150 all you have left is a $75 ata $100 7200 rpm harddrive and a 100 2.x athlon.....

if you game you'd new a new video card but this motherboard lays the groundwork for your future upgrade.... don't waste you money on outdated computer crap. It's so cheap now.

Originally posted by Chadnutz
    What MB brand hasn't put out at least one board with problems? I've built 7 systems now using Abit - no hardware conflicts no failures.

All I'm saying is that in four years of working at microage we had horrible luck with Abit. The percentage of bad MB with Abit compared to straight up intel was prob 3 or 4 to 1.

I think intel is the most reliable, but AMD **** has the speed. I run AMD **** though because it is dirt cheap
    Last edited by jerryg79; 10-08-2003 at 10:26 PM.
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    Originally posted by koldpecker
    I've got the 1.47 gig athlon XP processor with 266 bus on a BOISTAR motherboard. My computer kicks ass compared to equivalent or slightly faster P4s. So it must be the motherboard, I only have 512 of PC133 ram. I also leave one side of my case open to let heat out.

You probably know this, but I'm sure other's will read it too. If you have too many programs running in the background your computer will run slow and lock up. My parents wanted me to order them a new computer so I looked at theirs and the P2 was running about 15 programs because of the stupid kids. I shut them off and they've never had a problem again. Computers also collect a lot of dust which builds heat and causes them to lock up. You can get dry air for electronics at walmart and blow all that **** out. And windows XP is the devil. If you have an older computer stick to 98.

BTW your case cools better closed up so that the fans pull air threw the case. that is how the case is made to cool. you dont drive your car around with the hood up do you?