Thread: random questions

random questions

Okay, I've had some wierd ideas bouncing around in my head for a while, but I need some questions cleared up. So here we go

1. A dana 18 has an offset rear, while a D20 has a centered rear shaft right? So when people talk about swapping 18 gears into a d20 case, is this offset, or not, or can it go both ways? I know the cases look very similar, as if you could use the heavier (i'm guessing) d20 case, but make it offset

2. Why do people swap in the d20 case (I mean just the housing itself, not the gears) but retain the d18 gears? Is it much stronger?

3. What about a bronco d20? Could it be used with parts from a jeep d18 to make both driveshafts offset to the driver side? how different are the ford versions of the d20 from the jeep version? Could an adaptor that works with the ford version work with the jeep one?

Re: random questions

Originally posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    1. A dana 18 has an offset rear, while a D20 has a centered rear shaft right? So when people talk about swapping 18 gears into a d20 case, is this offset, or not, or can it go both ways? I know the cases look very similar, as if you could use the heavier (i'm guessing) d20 case, but make it offset

if you swap 18 gears in a 20, it is a centered output, i guess you could swap 20 gears in an 18, but why? 2.0 low range vs 2.46.

2. Why do people swap in the d20 case (I mean just the housing itself, not the gears) but retain the d18 gears? Is it much stronger?
    bigger crosspin/countershaft/name slips my mind right now, plus as you said in the last question, its centered. Hard to find something beefier than a 44 that is offset, not impossible, just hard.

3. What about a bronco d20? Could it be used with parts from a jeep d18 to make both driveshafts offset to the driver side? how different are the ford versions of the d20 from the jeep version? Could an adaptor that works with the ford version work with the jeep one?
    most of the gears work, the input is different, and the adapters are completely different.

1. I did a little more research, and the large bore d18 cases are the same as d20's. Most people use the 20 case to get the bigger intermediate shaft and a little stronger case, but it remains offset. Low range doesn't bother me, I'm just looking for an offset tcase that is light wieght, relatively strong, and offers twin stick capability which brings up question 2

2. Can you twin stick a d18 (I want front wheel drive only, so I can use cutting brakes)?

3. So does anyone know if you can setup a ford d20 so that both driveshafts are off set (driver side).

As for axles, yeah, I understand that only a few rear axles are offset, and most are lightwieghts. But I know where a 35 spline semifloat d60 (passenger side offset) is. My friend also has a RC60 rear, with disc brakes, that is offset to the drivers side. As for what it came out of, we only have stories, but no real info. Oh yeah, don't forget using a front axle in the rear for rear steer, which is my plan

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.

2. Can you twin stick a d18 (I want front wheel drive only, so I can use cutting brakes)?
    Well, I'm pretty sure they are that way to begin with. I don't know about the jeeps, but all the scout dana 18's and some of the 20's were twin sticked. Converting to twin stick isn't that big of a deal on them. There's an interlock plunger that has to be removed, and from there it's just setting up two sticks where one used to be.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

1. I did a little more research, and the large bore d18 cases are the same as d20's. Most people use the 20 case to get the bigger intermediate shaft and a little stronger case, but it remains offset. Low range doesn't bother me, I'm just looking for an offset tcase that is light wieght, relatively strong, and offers twin stick capability which brings up question 2

3. So does anyone know if you can setup a ford d20 so that both driveshafts are off set (driver side).

no, the case is completely different.

Only transfercase I can think of that has offset drivers side outputs is the new bodystyle range rovers.

Originally posted by eight
    Why not just center a front axle?
    i think he's trying to junkyard it, retubing an axle doesnt look like the easiest thing in the world, and don't tell me it is, cause i'm pretty sure you haven't done one either.

God I hate this, evertime i take more than a minute to type a post this damn thing logs me out and I lose my message

I want the offset rear because its easy to find, and doesn't require custom axle shafts. Also, there is a chance i may do away with my idea for an exotic drivetrain, and just go with sammy stuff, which is offset. The vehicle I have in mind, is like Randy Ellis's od green suzuki he used to compete in, but with a little longer wheelbase, and 4 wheel steer. I have thought about going with a centered rear output, and then putting in a dana300. I could use a d44 out of a isuzu, and then put a set of d44 or 10 bolt knuckels on it. How wide are d44 knuckles from the wms to the part that attaches to the axle tube (the C part)?