Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forced articulation??

Forced articulation??

What are ya'lls opinions of forced articulation? I saw a buggy on pirate yesterday that had a kustom coil wrapped around a hydraulic cylinder. Looked exactly like a regular coilover.

Does anyone think forced articulation is almost like cheating? You can pretty much force traction where you need.

I like the idea, but it seems like it's pretty expensive and to me it's almost like your cheating.

Thoughts??
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Matt Conlee
    I dont know much about it but Mike Green from FWD has a CJ with hydraulic cylinders at all four corners. I watched him make the wall ar TSOB look easy. His one ton axles extended wheelbase and 44s also help.

I dont think this is considered cheating but if it is then rear steer would be considered cheating as well
    Last edited by Matt Conlee; 10-15-2003 at 10:17 AM.

I'm not talking in competitions, I'm just talking in general. I investigating using this instead of regular coilovers. It just seems like it would make things much easier and take away from the driver skill.

Say there was one huge rock on a rear tire preventing you from going up a hill, you could pull the front down and raise that one wheel in the rear and just go over. Seems like it takes the fun out of it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    Nobody went up that wall smoother than Ferris McCollum, and he didn't have anything incredibly special as far as the drive train or suspension. He just had 37" MTRs in the front and 40s in the rear with big ass axles.

The forced articulation that guy had worked, but it was setup a little sloppy.

True Hollywood Stry
    i dont know a whole lot about it but it seems from what you ve said it takes a lot of the challenge out if it, the driver would not have to havea as much skill thats my two cents
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

AgDieseler
    It's still a challenge to get up an obstacle, but it just removes some of the peoblems encountered when you lift a tire and that corner has no traction. That's basically what it does. It just allows you to maintain traction on all four. The passive mode on many rams sucks though.

Here is the guy I'm talking about
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    from watching Mike, it looked as though it took MORE driver skill to use the hydraulics. It took like 4 people to figure out what would work best and it ended up just being trial and error.

I just like it because it makes the truck easy to work on.

I like things simple though, and there is just too much crap with that setup - hoses everywhere!
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by AgDieseler

The forced articulation that guy had worked, but it was setup a little sloppy.

your talking about the following CJ right? how is it sloppy?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    It looked god to me, it is definitley a play toy though.

He had everthing layed out in the bed. We must look who's talking about being messy though - have you seen Dieselgirls truck
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

weight would be not be much at all maybe +100 pounds. The guy in the pictures that I posted said when he is in "Float" mode it's similar to a regular coil over.

3 modes his can be in:
    Control: Moving cylinder up and down
    Float: Works like a shock, fluid is free to move in and out at will
    Neutural: Fluid in cylinder is static, making the suspension stiff.

He said the key to getting the "Float" ride right is playing with different sizes of hoses and flow restrictors.

I'm thinking I have enough to deal with at the moment. It could end up that I'm not satisfied with the performance and would want coilovers...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

AgDieseler
    Originally posted by redcagepatrol
    It looked god to me, it is definitley a play toy though.

He had everthing layed out in the bed. We must look who's talking about being messy though - have you seen Dieselgirls truck
    I guess the important thing was that it worked, and it did work well. He didn't need a pull to get up that first ledge, but neither did the Ford roadster or Busa.

I just don't understand why someone would build something that intricate and cool, and not do it neat and clean. That's just me though.

fbronco86
    i think its to many levers. one for this one for that. how much do these things cost anyway??