Thread: Wheel Alignment on Toyota

LilToy

Wheel Alignment on Toyota

My front tires on my Yota are looking kinda off. It wanders to the right a lil bit, but the main thing is that they tires are not straight up and down anymore, the top of the tire is closer to the body than the bottom. I believe this is called Caster angle? Whatever its called its not kosher so does anyone know how to get it fixed. And while im at it fix that pull to the right. I dont want my tires wearing uneven.

How the hell is your caster bad on a Toyota with a straight axle? Your knuckle bearings might be bad. Can you wiggle the tire when it is jacked up?

ill be your pickup man
    Thats a camber problem.

I know nothign abotu Toyotas, but if I had that problem on my Ford, I would check the ball joints or camber bushings/sleeves.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Violentv8toy
    My IFS wheel bearings would kill out alot like that. Tear it on down.

Re: Wheel Alignment on Toyota

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    My IFS wheel bearings would kill out alot like that. Tear it on down.
    83 Toyota 4" Lift, 35 BFG K/M's, 5.29's[/B]
    I'm no Toyota guy, but I'm pretty sure 83s didn't come with IFS, chief.

Violentv8toy

Re: Re: Wheel Alignment on Toyota

Originally posted by bburris
    I'm no Toyota guy, but I'm pretty sure 83s didn't come with IFS, chief.
    are you sure?

I'm sure they have wheel bearings of some kind though. I was pointing out that i had the same problems with my wheel bearings...on my IFS.

Tear the axle down and replace the kingpin bearings first. These could be bad, and if they are, it could get real ugly fast (ask me how I know). Also, toyotas sometimes seem to have a natural lean on them. Have you jumped your toy lately? You may want to check and make sure the housing is straight

LilToy
    What exactly is the kingpin bearing that you speak of, i have broken down the axle twice so I know where things are. And i have not jumped the toy lately, and it has seen mild wheeling the in the last year unfortunatly. And there is no wiggle in the tires, everything seems good to go.

The two conical bearings that are on the top and bottom of the knuckle.

Yeah, they're the two bearing s that go on the ball part of the knuckle. Last year I noticed one of the knuckles on my truck was leaking oil, so I decided to tear it down, thinking the oil seal was bad. Got the axle apart, only to find both bearings one the driver side were destroyed. Pieces of it were floating around in the knuckle, and its mostly just luck that I hadn't had the truck in 4wd in a few weeks, or I would've probally done a lot of damage. The wheel was solid, and I really felt no difference in it while driving. After my roll I noticed my knuckles were leaking pretty badly, which I found out was due to me breaking the studs holding on the hysteer and letting the knuckel move which once again destroyed all the bearings. I think this most likely happened before the roll considering the way they looked. Amazingly everything held up till I got back to camp, but one wheel was starting to lean pretty badly.