Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got everything for the drive train except 14 bolt!

neon lights underneath, neon windshield sprayers, stallion hood decal, monster tach, id say your still missing quite a bit

oh no wait that is just the stuff on our next door neighbor's mustang
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    tires?
    Originally posted by Snatch Adams
    neon lights underneath, neon windshield sprayers, stallion hood decal, monster tach, id say your still missing quite a bit
    Drivetrain people, drive train! As in the stuff that makes the wheels turn. I guess you could say I'm missing the driveshafts too.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    Drivetrain people, drive train! As in the stuff that makes the wheels turn. I guess you could say I'm missing the driveshafts too.
    In that case why did you show the rims, you are contradicting yourself...god only out of college for 5 months this is pathetic, you my friend are the reason i chose to stay that extra year, quitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    this is true. why show the rims if you dont think tires should be involved??? i was just curious what tires you're gonna run.

Originally posted by Snatch Adams
    In that case why did you show the rims, you are contradicting yourself...god only out of college for 5 months this is pathetic, you my friend are the reason i chose to stay that extra year, quitter!
    *******s!!

I plan to run 42" tsl's.

Other gay ideas i'm looking into are forced articulation (hydraulic rams on 4 corners inside a coil over)

Once I start actually building hopefully I'll have a place to host pictures. I'll also have a thread like scott did on his buildup.

Things I want to do before I start building the frame:

Make steering arms that work with hummer rims

Figure out if it is reasonable to mate 2 465's together

Figure out if I want to do this force articulation crap
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04
    email TexasBlake and make him give you web space on TON for picture hosting. its unlimited and its free as long as you're a member of the lonestar board.

You thinking of making the second 465 divorced? You should be able to get a yoke machined to go on the input shaft. You would need to add a bearing near the end of the the input shaft to act like the pilot bushing does.

Originally posted by eight
    You thinking of making the second 465 divorced? You should be able to get a yoke machined to go on the input shaft. You would need to add a bearing near the end of the the input shaft to act like the pilot bushing does.
    No not divorced, married. I'm having a friend that is very enlightened in the areas of machining/gear knowledge help me.

I wish adaptor between the 465 and the 205 wasn't so long. I've read somewhere that it is the 32 splined version. I guess I'll find out when I take it apart.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    I think you need to put your drive train together to get an idea of how long its gonna be. Just kinda guess to get an idea. I think all these adapters are gonna take up more lenght than you think. How long of a buggy are you gonna have.(wheel base wise) I am thinking of rear drive shaft its gonna be kinda short huh? I think the two trannies is cool but too long. I would just pony up the money for the transfercase doubler its shorter and you wont have like 32 gears and 8 reverse. I just think that many gears would lead to a mass confusion.

Wheel base will equal that of the blazer at least. Remember we are talking wheel base and not total length. It will not have an overhang on either end, except for the stinger which will be up high.

I estimate the overall length from the front of the fan pulledy with all the adaptors to the rear yoke on the case will be ~80 inches or 6'8.

4.3 = 26.5"
    465 with bell housing and without tailshaft = 18.5"
    adaptor between above tranny and below tranny less than 4"
    465 without bell housing but with 205 on the rear 31"

I'll be runny electric fans. I'm debating on putting the radiator in the rear. Maybe to much of a pain, but if I don't have the space in the front, the rear is an option.

I'm not totally positive I'll have enough length, I'll figure that out this afternoon.

Drawbacks to the doubler. Cost at least 800 just for the kit. Then you have to find a 465 that has 203 behind it. Pain in the ass. Only 2:1 gear reduction. Probably not too much shorter than what i will trying to build. I'd have to get new gears for axles.

Advantages of doubler. Shorter, already made and know it works.

Addvantages to my gay ass idea. Cost, got both transmission and T-Case for $250. Only thing that will cost money is a shaft from 1st trans to 2nd. I'd assume < 200. Gearing kicks ass, even with the 4.10's in the axles final drive comes to 344:1. That might be almost unnecasary(that is also a drawback).

Disadvantages to my gay ass idea. Has been done, but not like I want it. It will take time and could end up not working. Longer.

I really don't thik switching gears will be that complicated. It's not like we're on a drag strip and speed counts. The shifting pattern is the same on both trannies.

Now to figure out how to automatically down load mutual fund prices and import them into our database.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Mack84
    Originally posted by fbronco86
    I think you need to put your drive train together to get an idea of how long its gonna be. Just kinda guess to get an idea. I think all these adapters are gonna take up more lenght than you think. How long of a buggy are you gonna have.(wheel base wise) I am thinking of rear drive shaft its gonna be kinda short huh? I think the two trannies is cool but too long. I would just pony up the money for the transfercase doubler its shorter and you wont have like 32 gears and 8 reverse. I just think that many gears would lead to a mass confusion.
    i think ... i just think... i am thinking... .damn mike what else do you think

Ok doubler's shorter than I thought but I still don't think I'll have a problem with length. Doubler is 6" plus like a 4" adaptor.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Ok with my kindergarten cad-skills I made the worse case scenario drawing. I'm not sure on the width of everything including the buggy itself, but I am sure about the length.

Red = Engine
    Blue = 1st trans and bellhousing
    Purple = adaptor
    Maroon = 2nd trans and 205
    Yellow = Drive shaft
    Light blue = diff

With the way it's sitting right now the rear d-shaft would be 24.5" long. That's pretty short, but definately do-able. I can easily move the engine up. To tell you the truth, I've never placed an engine any other place than the stock location so I'm just guessing here.

Edit: **** I forgot to attatch, see below.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I'm thinking about going full hydraulic suspension. The guy emailed me back about it and said it was about $550 to get the custom coils done. Cheaper than I thought. I have to go talk to bill and see if he can build Hydraulic cylinders with a port on the end.

Instead of a power steering pump I'd run a hydraulic pump.
    1988 Blazer...RIP