Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quality Gear Manufacturers

AgDieseler

Quality Gear Manufacturers

I'm going to re-gear the suburban since the 4.10s aren't cutting it for towing on the highway. At 65 mph (the medium towing speed), I'm just outside of my engine's power band. I'm planning on 37" MTRs in the future, and after doing the math, 4.88s will get me where I want to be - just over 2000 rpms @ 65. Also, 5.13s are mighty tempting.

What are the better gear manufacturers out there, and which ones are to be avoided?

Don't buy Genuine Gear since you put a lot of miles on your Sub. I know, I know...a lot of people in the club use them and they're ok, but there are a whole lot of other people that use them and have gotten a whole lot of use out of the lifetime warranty. They look like Jap crap, too.

Precision Gear makes Ford Motorsports gears (I've been told and have read this). I put them in my 8.8 and the gears just look better than the D30 Genuine gears (they were cheap, shaddup).

I haven't ever looked for 14 bolt gears, but you may be limited in selection because of yours. The deepest you could get for a while was 4.56s, and now the lowest available is 5.13s. You may just go through whatever most recent Four Wheeler or whatever you have and start surfing the websites of gear manufacturers. I'd post links, but they're all on my old computer...

BigRedFord04
    Yukon, Precision, and Richmond are the top of the line....and Spicer if you can find 'em.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by bburris
    Don't buy Genuine Gear since you put a lot of miles on your Sub. I know, I know...a lot of people in the club use them and they're ok, but there are a whole lot of other people that use them and have gotten a whole lot of use out of the lifetime warranty. They look like Jap crap, too.

Precision Gear makes Ford Motorsports gears (I've been told and have read this). I put them in my 8.8 and the gears just look better than the D30 Genuine gears (they were cheap, shaddup).

I haven't ever looked for 14 bolt gears, but you may be limited in selection because of yours. The deepest you could get for a while was 4.56s, and now the lowest available is 5.13s. You may just go through whatever most recent Four Wheeler or whatever you have and start surfing the websites of gear manufacturers. I'd post links, but they're all on my old computer...

ginuine gears are the shiznit for offroad use....they have a life time warrenty even if you install them wrong...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

but David doesn't wheel

AgDieseler
    I think lifetime warranties are good for a lot of things, but gears? I'll pass. Just give me OEM quality. I think I'll go with 5.13 Precision.

Originally posted by AgDieseler
    I think lifetime warranties are good for a lot of things, but gears? I'll pass. Just give me OEM quality. I think I'll go with 5.13 Precision.

thats possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard. your saying that if spicer offered a lifetime warrenty on gears you would tell them you werent gonna buy them cause of it? maybe its just worded wrong...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

ill be your pickup man
    I think he is just saying that gears are not something that you want to have to use a warranty on. You dont want them to get ****ed up b/c its a PITA to deal with.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

AgDieseler
    Yeah, I kinda worded it wrong, but John filled in the gap. I meant that I wouldn't buy gears solely based on a replacement warranty. Top quality gears carry the intangible warranty of never having to deal with them again after a proper setup and break in.

BigRedFord04
    yes, i am also not a poocie

lifetime warranty is good on anything. but remember what ol' Tommy Boy said, "The reason why they have a guarrantee on the box is because they know all they sold you is a guarranteed piece of ****. Hell, I can take a crap in a box and slap a guarrantee on it for you, if that's what you want."

AgDieseler
    True Dat.

Originally posted by JBrown89
    I think he is just saying that gears are not something that you want to have to use a warranty on. You dont want them to get ****ed up b/c its a PITA to deal with.

nahhh...its not too bad...and yes i would know seeing as i have been through several rear axles...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

How much of a PITA was it to have your truck down for a few days each time? It's worth the little extra cost to me to have gears that have a really good reputation.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    ...remember what ol' Tommy Boy said, "The reason why they have a guarrantee on the box is because they know all they sold you is a guarranteed piece of ****. Hell, I can take a crap in a box and slap a guarrantee on it for you, if that's what you want."
    This about sums it up I think.

Originally posted by bburris
    How much of a PITA was it to have your truck down for a few days each time? It's worth the little extra cost to me to have gears that have a really good reputation.

last time it wasnt much of a pain in the ass at all....i got to drive a 97 chevy half ton for two months...

as for the two times before that, i had you young freshmen to cart me around...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500