Thread: Almost Free Horsepower

BigRedFord04

Almost Free Horsepower

I read about this mod on ws6.com, evidently its a popular mod among camaro, trans am, and corvette guys....all the LT1s. the site i saw it on had a before and after dyno and the guy gained 6-8HP.

basically, all it entails is bypassing throttle body coolant. by doing this it allows the intake air to stay cooler, thus more dense and containing more oxygen. the temperature difference just in the throttle body surface temp was ~20*. the after result on the dyno yielded 6.5HP and 7ft/lb torque. i did this on my truck and it seemed to be a pretty noticable difference, but its still running ****ty from a bad sensor i've yet been able to isolate.

Where is the throttle body coolant you speak of?

...maybe I've studied too much today...

froader03
    and the cost?... $1.40

ill be your pickup man
    I assume you are talking about the two ruber hoses that plug onto the side of the TB on our ford motors? So did you just pull them off and connect the two together? How did you plug the holes on the TB?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    here are some pics, the 1st two are of my roommates TB since it is currently not mounted. in the 2nd one you can see where the coolant runs through it. notice the freeze plug.

here you can see where i bypassed mine. i guess i could put some vacuum caps or something over the holes where the lines were, but i dont see it being a big problem. the line on the left comes off of the lines to the heater core. the line on the right goes into the front top of the intake.

ill be your pickup man
    cool
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

The only thing that the coolant running through the throttle body is for is because up north they have problems with the TB freezing up......don't think we have that problem too much here. You don't have to plug the holes, but it's not a bad idea.
    BDR