Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2wd 1999 chevy lift

ishbo03

2wd 1999 chevy lift

i have a 1999 silverado 2wd and i am thinkin bout putting a 7inch fabtech lift on it with 35's. i was wondering if this is a good idea or if i am totally crazy. also, i dont want to pay a shop to install it but i have no idea how to do it. if anyone would be willing to help me with this, that would be awesome. im still not positive if im gonna do it but tryin to get some ideas

AgDieseler
    I guess it depends on what you plan to do with your truck. If it's only going to see street miles, and all you want is something tall, then go for it. If it's going to see the trail, then you might think about adding four wheel drive before sinking money into a lift.

If you really want something for the trail, and plan on wheeling it hard, I wouldn't blow your wad on a 2wd fullsize. If you can, make that your tow rig, and get something smaller to beat on.

wow! Not the advice I expected from dieselboy! Good advice though.
    You have a great tow vehicle. If you don't mess with it, it has a greater chance of staying streetworthy and pimpable. Get an old jeep or yota and play with that.
    Don't mess with the daily driver!
    EDIT: you have a K5 and want to lift a '99 2x4? I gotta ask why.
    Last edited by uglyota; 10-28-2003 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

ishbo03
    yea i have the K5 but my dad is making me sell it. the only reason i would lift the truck is for the look, not to use it on the trail cause obviously i wouldnt be able to do anything without 4wheel drive. im still tryin to decide if i wanna put that much money into it cause its gonna cost around $3000 i think for the lift, tires, rims, and install

ishbo03
    will it still kill my gas mileage and power if i do either gears or a hypertech programmer?

Originally posted by ishbo03
    will it still kill my gas mileage and power if i do either gears or a hypertech programmer?
    If you love your truck and ever want it to drive straight you wont do it.....nothing good can really come of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

aggielr
    keep the pickup the way it is, buy a beater and work on it

ishbo03
    aight, thanx for the advice guys. just curious, does it still mess up the steering and everything if u install a steering stabilizer? i dont mean to sound stupid but i dont konw alot about lifts.

aight, thanx for the advice guys. just curious, does it still mess up the steering and everything if u install a steering stabilizer? i dont mean to sound stupid but i dont konw alot about lifts.
    steering will still suck, it just won't shake as much with a stabilizer

if you feel you have to put money in the truck, do something to make it tow better

Tell us some more about it.
    I had a friend who had one, maybe a 95...2x4, shortbed, regular cab, stepside...with a loud exhaust, shackle and spindle lift, cam and 33s that looked good and it helped him pull tail. It lost everything performance-wise because of it, tho. A little bit of clearance could help you if you wanted to take it down a chitty road to go fishing, but no more than 3", but if you put a prerunner lift on it and jump it...you might as well start wiping your a$$ with $20s right now.
    Even if you put it back to its normal ratios, bigger tires means more weight that your engine has to turn over. No gears and programmer will fix that.
    Get a banks intake and exhaust kit, maybe program it, then spend the other $1500 on a beater
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

...its gonna cost around $3000 i think for the lift, tires, rims, and install

If you have $3000 to waste on a 2WD lift, then why not get a Samurai and build it? You can find them for really cheap and use the rest of that $3000 to make it a pretty damned good offroader.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    speaking from personal experiance.....dont do anything to it other then put gas in it....youll regret it for ever....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

TXsizeK5
    Like said before, if you're lifted higher with bigger tires, anything you do will not return it back to having original gas mileage or performance. The tires are bigger and heavier, the lift jacks everything up creating more wind resistance, etc etc.

A few people I know spend loads on rear end work like posi and gears and lift/tire combos for their 2wd and just ended up selling it for a 4x4 or motorcycle or something.

3 grand will get you a good trail-only rig to start on building and I'm sure everyone here will help with that build if you don't know what you're doing.

Violentv8toy
    good god. 3k to put into a 2wd is a waste. My whole toyota is about at 2500 including purchase price....

I'm really cheap.

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    I'm really cheap.
    I only had that much in mine when it was my only vehicle and I had to drive 80miles round trip to work every day. THAT's cheap
    PS it's not like the thing's a piece of crap...it's a good truck, it just doesn't have 4wd. Make it tow and make it comfortable.