Thread: tranny talk

TRDyota

tranny talk

Okay,
    I haven't taken the mustang out in a long time, so last time i went home i "took the mustang out", and by "took the mustang out", i mean i absolutely goosed it. So, as I was accelarating through second gear, i heard a small rattle coming from the tranny. Didn't seem like a big deal, until i noticed a thick cloud of black smoke in my rearview mirror. The rattle seemed to begin around 2500 rpms and didn't stop till i shifted to third. What could that mean?

The tranny is now 9 years old, rebuilt bout 18 months ago. Any one have a diagnosis?

thanks!

TRDyota
    standard, of course

Well, if you were putting it to it in second gear, I'd guess the tires were slipping, making noises, and smoking. If not, your car sux.

TRDyota
    no tire slippage, just the second gear scratch. But like i sound, a rattle was coming from the tranny all through second, and did not occur in any other gear. Could the gear maybe have come misaligned? It only seems to rattle when at full throttle.

fbronco86
    smoke=messed up clutch

TRDyota
    pretty sure it had nothin to do with the clutch--it was a smooth, gentle shift, and i was completely off the clutch. maybe one of the likages could be off again? would that cause any smoke?

TRDyota
    might just have to bite the bullet and take it to a transmission expert

fbronco86
    unless the tranny was on fire the clutch was smoking. what else would be smoking? Did you smell anything while it was smoking??

TRDyota
    Originally posted by fbronco86
    unless the tranny was on fire the clutch was smoking. what else would be smoking? Did you smell anything while it was smoking??
    negative, pulled over shortly after, andeverything seemed okay. i even used second gear to get home with no problems. I've noticed the rattle in the tranny in second before, but never checked unil last time if if smoked or not. I guess its just a mystery...

Shaggy
    i say ignore it... turn your radio up if it bothers you... dont fix it till it takes a dump

Originally posted by TRDyota
    might just have to bite the bullet and take it to a transmission expert
    you sure it isn't the driveshaft?? Could be a U-Joint? Sometimes they do funny things at only certain speeds and vibrations. I don't see what could "rattle" in a standard tranny.

The only thing that could smoke is the clutch, or if tranny fluid got on the exhaust pipe somehow. I don't think a manual could get hot enough to smoke the fluid unless something was terribly wrong, and if thats the case, it would have been dead by now.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

TRDyota
    Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    you sure it isn't the driveshaft?? Could be a U-Joint? Sometimes they do funny things at only certain speeds and vibrations.
    you know, it could be something to do with the drive shaft. Maybe it puts too much stress on it when floored in second gear because of all that torque (it IS a 5.0!). But how bad would a transmission have to leak to get fluid on the exhaust?

Transmission fluid burns white. Only thing I could see black smoke coming from is the engine running way to rich.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by eight
    Transmission fluid burns white. Only thing I could see black smoke coming from is the engine running way to rich.
    this is also what i was thinking. 2nd gear might handle the torque curve just differently enough that it causes the engine to knock and it just echos down the firewall to sound like it was the tranny. retard the timing a few degrees and see if that helps. mine was knocking only in third gear for a while and it was b.c. i had the timing advanced too much.

TRDyota
    Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    this is also what i was thinking. 2nd gear might handle the torque curve just differently enough that it causes the engine to knock and it just echos down the firewall to sound like it was the tranny. retard the timing a few degrees and see if that helps. mine was knocking only in third gear for a while and it was b.c. i had the timing advanced too much.
    i go home this weekend. i'll have to look into that and try it out.

Thanks