Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: cracked th350

Violentv8toy

cracked th350

Well...here is a pic of the mount i was talking about...just looking at it, it looks fine...but if you think about the way it torques over....its damn near a solid mount on a mushy surface.

So you guys think i can weld her up?

Do i just use an arc? It still transfers power....If i fixed my tranny mount and welded the tranny back together...i could probably take it to SA. The tranny is the only thing keeping me from taking it.

Violentv8toy
    sdf remember....theres no bushing on the bolt heads under the crossmember.

I never said i was smart....i just like working with vehicles and offroading.....but i never said i was good at any of it.

Violentv8toy
    sdafgsd This is what my engine mounts look like...

Violentv8toy
    yall think i could maybe weld it while its on the vehicle....cause its gonna be hell trying to get to the bolts to take it off.

If i do weld it back up....will it be a good reliable tranny still? I've got a spare th350....but its not as good a condition as this.

True Hollywood Stry
    i am not sure as whether you can weld it up or not, but i think you could definately find some kind of urethane bushing to soften up the ride on that tranny before this weekend if you can get the tranny welded. If you cant i wouldn't mess with it cause like you said the torque and movement of tranny off road will be worse than on the street and same thing is gonna happen.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Violentv8toy
    Oh well getting 2 bushings isnt hard at all...it wont take but 5 min at the parts store and about 30 minutes to do it correctly.

I'm just wondering if i weld up the tranny....will it be reliable enough to take to SA? I reaaaaally want to wheel.

what the hell are you welding on the transmission??????? The case?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Now that i read the SA thread. That housing on the transmission is aluminum. Can you weld aluminum?? I wouldn't trust a welded aluminum case as far as I can throw it. If it was a trailer queen I might, but I wouldn't want to be that guy on the trail the rigged my truck so I can go wheeling and how someone has to pull me the whole way out.

Why don't you get a new case or tranny and swap it in? Or buy a rebuilt one from a tranny shop around there. You're goign to have to get another one any ways. I don't think a 350 would be that expensive.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Welding the mount back on probably wouldn't hold. You get about no penetration on aluminum. On mine, I welded the cracks and part of the mount back on to cover a hole, then made a steel mount that bolts onto the case, so there is no stress on what used to be the mount. But my case has a perfect spot to bolt a mount on, while I'm pretty sure a th350 does not. Fix it right.

So Doug. Don't think the blazer would be up to pulling a little toyota off the trail?

chevsu
    i have welded a few aluminum tranmission and they have held up really well. usually the aluminum they use is a very high quality. you just have to grind all the crack out and if you weld it right you can get plenty of penetration. it needs to be tigged preferably by somebody that know what there doing. we welded a whole bell housing on a ford trans back on once and haven't heard of any problems yet and he hauls cattle all the time with it.

do you have a pic of the crack?

Why don't you give advance adapters a call and put your yota tranny and tcase back in? You didn't sell them yet, did you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    I wouldn't want to be that guy on the trail the rigged my truck so I can go wheeling and how someone has to pull me the whole way out.
    Dont worry, that will be me
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Originally posted by chevsu
    i have welded a few aluminum tranmission and they have held up really well. usually the aluminum they use is a very high quality. you just have to grind all the crack out and if you weld it right you can get plenty of penetration. it needs to be tigged preferably by somebody that know what there doing. we welded a whole bell housing on a ford trans back on once and haven't heard of any problems yet and he hauls cattle all the time with it.

do you have a pic of the crack?
    Of course it works when you're Cody and you have god welders!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Violentv8toy
    Alright....Well its a about 3 huge cracks...and i'll go ahead and say that i'm not gonna try to weld it.

My buddy has a spare th350 that i can have...but it wont make SA this weekend.

But it will be ready next time...

Where's your buddy's tranny? You can't swap it by this weekend?