Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gear box?

gear box?

im in the market for a new steering gear box, mine is pretty shot. ive heard about the toy gear boxs being better... is this true?... and what kind? i found this one but its non power steering... or should i just run up to a junk yard and pull one off a chevy or something?

Violentv8toy
    toy boxes are supposedly pretty good. You've gotta get the IFS 86-95 power boxes though. They typically run about 80-110 bux.

2wd chevy's supposedly arent bad either. I'd rather use a toyota's box cause there is less slop in it. (just my opinion)

I think swapping a toyota box in place of a saginaw box is a terrible idea. You'd have to have much wider axles to get away with an external frame mount, not to mention all the linkage and stuff that goes with it, all for a longer sector shaft made of japanese steel.

get a PSC box if you need an upgrade

is the j20 or PSC something easy to find at a yard

J20 is a 3/4 ton jeep truck. Shouldn't be too dam hard to find.

i know what a j20 is, i just never see them sitting around

Originally posted by J Cooper
    is the j20 or PSC something easy to find at a yard
    I've only seen 1 j20 in the many Jeep only yards I've been to, so good luck with that one. PSC is a company started by one of the AGR guys. AGR's stuff kinda sucks now from what I've heard, but PSC has some cool stuff out there

Any 2wd gm steering box will work, but there are different splines on the input shaft. I know for a fact CJ and YJ splines are different, and even cj manual and cj power steering splines are different.

i dont know what year your jeep is, but the later model ones use o ring lines while the earlier use flared lines. I think ~1981 is the break because I had a hell of a time getting an o ring line for a 304 equipped CJ (Collins Bros carries them). Try to get one that uses the same lines or you'll need to hack up 2 lines and compression fitting fix them.

Also Try to get a box with 4 bolts, there are many 3 bolt versions (YJs, TJ's and I think XJ's are 3 bolts) that will work, they just dont have the bung for the 4th bolt.

mine is a 85 w/ power steering... so its the o ring type? do you know what spline that one is off the top of your head

Originally posted by J Cooper
    mine is a 85 w/ power steering... so its the o ring type? do you know what spline that one is off the top of your head
    should be the o ring type, but I'd check since thats not a factory offered engine for 85, who knows whats been swapped.

dont know the spline count

the gear box is factory, just the motor was swapped out of a 5.... but thanks for the answers, thats what i was looking for

True Hollywood Stry
    just send it off to west texas off road, and have it rebuilt i have heard they good work on rebuilding gear boxes, also if you got the cash the agr boxes are pretty good to made a lot of diference on my freinds cj-5
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

chevsu
    just go full hydraulic

I would think the yota box would work okay for you. Besides being very easy to find (around $100 on ebay most of the time), they mount on a flat vertical surface with 3 bolts (shouldn't be too tough) and are easy to tap for hydro assist. Maybe pm Chris (crashnburn)...he knows quite a bit about them.
    Then again, some yota guys switch to Saginaws...but I don't think it's common for the yota boxes to die. I don't know why Scott rebuilt his, though. Maybe to fix the leak (didn't that work well? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Why the **** would you put a toyota box on a jeep when another saginaw will bolt in place and can be tapped just as easy?

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by eight
    He probably can't fit a toy box anyway.

This idea has to be worse than anything I ever came up with. Just fricken dumb. It beats the toy axles on a jeep and even the divorced case.
    I'm not sure I agree. I'd rather depend on a 1995 toyota P/S box that is nice and tight than a P/S box from an old ass J20 sitting in an old mans yard. My gramps had a J20 and that thing didnt steer all that grand as i recall.

Fitting the box is another thing...and he prolly cant fit it...but for arguments sake, i'd rather use a toy box.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 12-02-2003 at 09:19 AM.