Thread: Toyota engine help

Toyota engine help

We've got two Jeep guys and a Samurai guy working on a 20R Toyota engine. It has this general type of ignition system, but with a module attached to the coil instead of the amplifier. Paul has an MSD 6AL sitting in his garage, so we were trying to figure out how to possibly use that to bypass the ignitor. The pics below show the type of ignition system we're working with.

The Distributor

Coil/Ignitor

We were trying to figure out how to convert to an ignition similar to this one.

What have you guys that have MSD or other aftermarket ignition sytems done about the coil/amplifier/ignitor thingy?

here's the MSD diagram you linked...I need to look at them side-by-side
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

doesn't look too difficult to me...just figure out + and - of the 2 wires coming out of the signal generator in the distributor and into that green plug, and splice in the + and - wires from the coil. Or am I missing something?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I think that's the general idea, but I forgot to say that Paul no longer has the magnetic pickup pigtail...

I guess he definately needs that thing - Does anyone else agree that this will work?

So is the truck not running? It's my understanding that if the signal generator/magnetic pickup doesn't work exactly right, you can't get a spark.
    The signal generator for an '85 was like $12 at Autozone (a few years ago when I replaced mine)

It's a 20R that was swapped into a stretched Samurai with a 2WD Toy automatic and the stock divorced Sami t-case.

It has the stock Toyota ignition, but I'm not sure what year all of it is from. It's not getting spark from the coil/ignitor thing, so no, it's not currently running. It will turn over, but there's no spark.

Sounds pretty sweet...
    It'll probably spark if you get the signal generator hooked up. Those things are hella sensitive (late model Hondas have 3 and they will go out if you sneeze on them...then no spark!). Get one from Vatozone and slap it in there and see if it works, then try and hook up your MSD. The ICMs really don't die on those things.
    Run it with and without the MSD and let me know how much difference it makes. I've heard from some that they don't make any difference, and I've heard from others that it really opens them up.
    Is that the stock tranny or do you have the stock manual laying around somewhere and would like me to take it off your hands?

He doesn't have anything that was stock. It was built and has now traded hands four times. Paul got it for $300 from a guy that is about to get deployed and didn't want to have to store anything but his clothes.

cool...keep us updated

We got it firing, but it's having fuel delivery problems. It will sputter a little, but it's just not getting enough volume. Paul is getting a fuel filter and some gas additive today, because the gas has been sitting for a year. We added about 3 gallons of supreme before it filled up, so we may be draining all the old chit out soon.

This thing is really ugly. The first owner was a Navy certified welder, but apparently had no comprehension of how to do body work. It was stretched quite a bit. The frame looks good, but here is how the body stretch turned out. He didn't use a junk tub for panels, it's just sheetmetal.

It's getting my old 33s put on today or tomorrow to replace the Geolanders. The wheels were black rockcrawlers, but they didn't have enough offset so they were cut and recentered to have no offset. It's just a matter of getting it running really. Paul just got it to beat on so he can keep his fairly clean and use it for mild wheeling. This one will be flogged severely...

wow
    this guy welded on battleships and submarines? They must have taught someone else how to use a grinder
    Yikes!
    Looks like fun, though.
    There's a good thread on pirate on tuning those carbs...I'll post it if I get a chance to look for it. If it's shot, go weber.