Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: auto-darkening helmet

auto-darkening helmet

http://www.varnco.com/catalog/catalo...roducts_id=101
    Anybody know anything about Varnco?
    It's less than half the price of most self-darkening helmets, and .0001 second response sounds good.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I used some cheap one once. It darkened fast enough, but took too long to turn back to light. Really piss you off when tacking stuff. So I sent it back. Even the good brands only last 2 years for my company, but I hear they last longer if only used indoors, something about sunlight being bad for them.

I wouldn't go cheap on anything that's protecting my eyes. If you don't have the skrilla for an autodarkening (I love my Speedglas) just pick up a standard hood with a big window. It's no big deal if you're MIG welding anyway, just get the gun where you want it and flip your hood down.

you know you can also get different levels of darkening glass for the regular helmuts. if you use the lighter tints you don't even have to flip the lid.

Try not to go cheap on tools period. I'm with Andy. If you can't afford an auto hood just go with a regular one for now. It is just a luxury anyway.

Originally posted by Graystroke
    you know you can also get different levels of darkening glass for the regular helmuts. if you use the lighter tints you don't even have to flip the lid.
    I'm arc welding. Is this still okay? Don't arc welding helmets come with #9 or #10 glass for a reason?

And if the only problem with them is how fast they lighten up, I think I can live with that. My big problem is keeping everything straight while I flip my hood down. Once it's tacked, I think I could wait a few seconds for it to lighten up.

Ryan, what wears out on these things? You can replace the batteries (on the non-solar ones)

However, I think I'll go with you guys and just get a flip-down one with big glass. Then even if it doesn't flip down all the way, I can still see enough to work.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

lcd screens don't like sunlight. ever used a gameboy outside for a few hours and gotten those lines on it? thats all I can think of that would wear out, but welding would **** it up just as much as the sun.

I'll bet its fine outside.

BigRedFord04
    i dont know much about these but i know i love the one we have at work. makes things really easy for short, repetative welds. i've used it with MIG and TIG and it works great. i'll find out what brand it is tomorrow, and maybe even where they got it.

Yea they just quit working. I think only the first one we bought used batteries.

I would not get the big flip face one. I've allways welded with the small flip ones but then I saw a big flip one for sale at TSC for $12 so I got it. Well, I don't like flipping that big sombitchen lid all the time. And theres no reason to need such a big screen, you're looking where you're gonna weld anyway. If you do get a small one and don't like it I'll trade you my big one for it.

I am with Andy on not going cheap on safety items. The last thing you want to do is burn your eyes. When it happened to me it hurt like hell and then all you can do is wait for them to get better. At least they gave me some really good drugs for pain.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    auto helmets are for pussies...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Originally posted by redcagepatrol
    auto helmets are for pussies...
    Well...normally I don't wear a hood and just close my eyes and weld by feel and sound!

You know, like that kid Tommy, the one that plays a mean pinball?

fbronco86
    i am kinda surprised krebs has not had anything to say. He has one and i have used it alot it has like 4 different settings 9, 10,11,12 or something like that. it came with his hobart welder so i am not sure who made it.

I know plenty of people that have burnt their eyes by tacking stuff with no hood and their eyes closed thinking it wont get them. I get to make fun of their dum ass the whole next day at least while they look like **** and feel like they got a handful of sand in their eyes that won't come out. Also gotta watch when welding at night while another person is welding too, if they're behind you their welding can reflect inside your hood and get your eyes. I guess they're more sensitive at night.

Originally posted by eight
    Yea they just quit working.
    Quit working and stay dark all the time, or just decide one day not to get dark, and your eyes hurt like a sumbich?
    Originally posted by eight
    I would not get the big flip face one. I've allways welded with the small flip ones but then I saw a big flip one for sale at TSC for $12 so I got it. Well, I don't like flipping that big sombitchen lid all the time. And theres no reason to need such a big screen, you're looking where you're gonna weld anyway. If you do get a small one and don't like it I'll trade you my big one for it.
    I might take you up on this. I have a big screen one with no headband that I just hold in front, and I like being able to see all around where I'm working. I used a buddy's small fixed-screen one and unless I flipped it down just perfect, the screen wasn't in front of my eyes. I also have used a small screen one where there's a fixed clear lens, and a flip-down dark lens, and it's nice because you can just flip up the dark lens and you're totally protected forchipping, but half the time I just think "hey, there's a screen in front of my face!" then strike an arc and realize that I'm blind because I didn't have the right screen in front of my face. Also, you can't nod your head and have the small screen fall.