Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: good uv protectant

True Hollywood Stry

half door pics on third page

yeha i am almost finished with the body work on the bronco, and i dont see the need to go blow 400-to 800 on a paint job right now cause i am prolly gona screw it up, and was thinking about a rattle can paint job, i have done this on my wagoneer and it was pretty faded after a year anyone know of a good uv light protectant that i could spray on top of it to slow down this fading for a couple years till i get all the important mechanical stuff done.

try and keep it on topic, and yes i know i am a cheap @$$ for doing this.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 02-21-2004 at 10:29 PM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

maybe try the Krylon clear coat stuff?

True Hollywood Stry
    i thought about that but that stuff dulls the color, and you got to be careful not to let it get to much in one spot cause of the white spots thanks, if no one comes up with anything better thats what it is gonna get.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

If you have access to an air compressor you could get a cheap sprayer and spray some auto-grade clear coat on it.

True Hollywood Stry
    oh yeha i never thought about that, that would work pretty good.

TRDyota
    just don't paint it, it's gonna get messed up again anyway.

Violentv8toy
    Yeah. If it looks really bad and would positively look better with rattle can....do it. Otherwise, rattle can sucks. I had to rattle can my truck cause its better than driving around in a multicolored truck. I probably spent 100 dollars trying to it 'right' but it didn't come out all that grand. I didn't use clear coat either.

$100 on rattlecans when you can probably get a quart of rustoleum and a cheap-ass devilbliss gun for that much...
    ...and you'll still have the gun when you're finished
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by uglyota
    $100 on rattlecans when you can probably get a quart of rustoleum and a cheap-ass devilbliss gun for that much...
    ...and you'll still have the gun when you're finished
    exactly. In my opinion...if you cant do it right the first time....do it 1/2 right and call it good.

Yep, get a spray gun and some 2 part rustoleum paint. I think its about $30 per gallon. That's what my jeep's painted with and it can shine if the rain washes the dust off of it. Get a flat piece of sheetmetal to practice on a little. Spray light coats. Start at one end of a section and go all the way to the other end making one line of paint aimed at the edge of the section, then point the spray gun at the edge of that line to get good overlap. 2 light coats of primer, and then 2 or 3 light coats of paint. Should turn out good enough that you won't want to scratch it.

ok, i'll play the part of mr. obvious. If you are going to spray it with a gun, why not buy real automotive paint?

rattlecan touch-ups
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by robertf03
    ok, i'll play the part of mr. obvious. If you are going to spray it with a gun, why not buy real automotive paint?
    It would be the cost, Mr. Obvious.

Actually, its not a bad idea. You know bubba walkers white chevy? That was an ugly ugly ratty blue and grey and multicolored and all that. We'll he bought the white paint off ebay....you know the 39.00 a gal stuff. It came out really good considering we painted it in a field.

TXsizeK5
    Screw automotive paint, just use krylon. I use that for everything. Need a paintjob? Krylon. Got a scratch? Use Krylon. Got some rust showing? Krylon that shiat.

The 2 part paint is what cars were painted with 40 years ago. It will not shine as good as today's paint, but it is supposed to be more resitant to scratches, and easier to make it look decent for us non-professionals. And the cost of it is about equal to rattle cans.