Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got 60?

I don't know about you, but I don't want much of anything that has been used for 30+ years going under my Jeep if I have a chance to replace it while it's on jackstands. Kingpins will wear out, and when they do they can break, just like a ball joint.

TXsizeK5
    Kingpins are alot better designed than ball joints. They do last a butt load longer than balljoints. If your kingpins, bushings, springs, and lower kingpin accesories are worn you will have a bit of deathwobble.

The KingPins themselves arent usually too pitted or damaged. Mine were immaculate (untill somone hit one with a hammer <cough> blake<cough> but you realy should replace the lower kingpin race,bearing, and upper kingpin bushing and spring. ittle be ALOT easier to do it with the axle off the vehicle.

And once yo've done it you won't have to do it for another 30+ years. hah.

This shiat does NOT come cheap... after actaully buying the axle, it was $350 for all the rebuild parts (brakes, seals, bearings, races, and whatnot) $300 or so for the hubs, 15 dollar locker $350 for crossover. YIKES!

btw
    Gears are stock, 4.10, welded spiders a.k.a. my Po' Man Locker.
    Last edited by TXsizeK5; 01-13-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Violentv8toy
    I see.

Well, he was gonna crack it open and see if everything looked good. I'm a big fan of, if it doesn't need to be replaced, don't replace it. And if the kingpins looked good and everything looked good, i didn't really see why they should be replaced....which was why i was asking. Did you go complete hysteer or just regular crossover? TREs or heims?

TXsizeK5
    Once you pull off ever the kingpin cap the grease is all nasty and you'll want to replace it, unless you're just a major tight wad. ***.

I am going TRE w/just regular crossover, I can't afford that extra few hundred dollar high steer arm!

I'm planning to go Hydro-Assist but won't be able to afford the ram and fitting and lines untill later. I've already got my steering box rebuilt and tapped. I just capped it so I can run regular steering for now.

Hopefully hydro-assist will be in before Katemcy, in fact I'm going to make sure it does.

Violentv8toy
    no, i'm a firm believer in grease...im not that incredibly cheap.

Whod you get your steering from? Shakerbuilt has em for 100 bux now.

TXsizeK5
    OffRoadDesign... i hear nothing but good things about their kits.

The kingpin doesn't necessarily wear out, but the bushings and bearings do. Like I said, I personally wouldn't want to reuse anything that has been supporting a one ton truck for 30+ years if I can replace it. Doing it on jackstands is a lot easier than doing it under the vehicle or on the trail.

TXsizeK5
    Right, believe me, if you want to try and change lower kingpin bearing race while the axle is stillin the truck, you're out of your mind. Brett can vouch for me.

if you're a cheapass you can always go with just bushings and springs for the upper kingpin from Offroad Design for like 15 bucks a side.

you're not going to be able to turn very well with the welded front. I'm sure you know that, but until you get hydro assist it's going to suck bad.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

TXsizeK5

stinger7401
    hahaha dougy how do you like being put in your place!!!! hahahahaahaahhaha

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    He's the first TAMOR member to actually get stuff done in a timely manner...

Good work Derek!
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

aggielr
    Originally posted by redcagepatrol

Good work Derek!
    breaking tradition????? i thought it was some sort of rule that you rig still had to be in a minimum of 25 pieces in the driveway 4 hours before it was time to leave, and the last piece is being put on as your loading it on the trailer?

but glad to see ya got it done, but if ya want to see it in true TAMOR fashion, just come by the house friday @ around 1 or 2, i'll probably be puttin the transmission back in

Originally posted by redcagepatrol

Good work Derek!
    It gets done alot faster when someone else does it!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

TXsizeK5
    biatch, i told you school started and I didnt much much time. but atleast I built it myself doesnt that count