Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Duramax v. Cummins v. Powerstroke

Krawler68

Duramax v. Cummins v. Powerstroke

lets hear it... I'm shopping for a pavement pounder trailer rig... I like the Duramax acoutrements (niceties)... but I'm worried about their abilities and longevity...

I would wait at least another year before deciding to go with the Duramax, just so they have some more time to work out problems the new engine might have. As far as the ford or dodge either are good engines. Both still have problems with there tranny's. Scott and I both get about the same miles per gallon. You know how I feel about Fords they have more torque and horsepower than the dodge but they also have 2 more cylinders. Both engines have many performance parts while the chevy only has a few on the market at this time.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

AgDieseler
    Don't wait too long for a Dmax. GM is about to make their front clip change to the heavy duties, it's going to look something like he avalanche. Pretty crappy styling if you ask me, but you can't go wrong with a HO Cummins with the NV5600 six-speed.

Krawler68
    I'd already be sold on the cummins if it just came in a 4 door... damn Dodges... I may wait around for the 2003 6.0 liter fords to come out...

All three of the trucks seem to be quite good at what they do. The only area that any of them have a clear advantage is in noise. Advantage D-Max. In all other respects they are neck in neck or soon will be as Ford and Dodge play catchup in the HP wars. I would choose based on the truck that the engine is surrounded with. For 2003, there is a new 4 door Dodge and restyling along with an interior revamp is on for GM. Power increases are on tap for both Ford (325hp/550lb-ft) and Dodge (305hp/555lb-ft). Dodge gets a tougher frame as well. While GM has a 5 speed auto, Ford will introduce one with their HO engine in early 2003. If you do want the GM stuff, but can't stomach the Chevy's styling, GMC's new styling is worth looking at.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

I like to hear when the turbo kicks in, which you can not do on the chevy.
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

Krawler68
    I just like the nice things that chebbys have... comfort factor is WAYYYYY higher... Ford And Dodge don't push the comfort issues...
    I like diesel noise too... but I'd be willing to sacrifice it for better performance...

Vote

Why don't you make this a vote to see which truck is the most popular of the three?

My friend's uncles own a big plumbing company in San Antonio - Aramendia Plumbing Co - and they have both powerstrokes and duramaxes. Uncle says powerstroke pulls the same trailer better
    but the chebby drives nicer. Who cares about driving nicer?! Heh, maybe I will one day, but I've ridden in a few F-250 4x4 Powerstrokes and they were a HELL of a lot more comfortable than the Mazda. Man diesels rule.

Check out the Banks power system article in the Fourwheeler magazine. They boast 91 hp improvment and 200 ft/lb torque improvement. They dyno tested an FW truck and it got +80 and +201 at the rear wheels making a grand total of 294/660. What Cummins? I didn't pass any Dodge, did I?

If you go with a 4x4 the dodge and ford still have a solid front axle. I know this does not mater that much on a pull vehicle but I thought I would still point it out.
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

Krawler68
    A nicer driving truck Does matter to me these days...I am carrying around ALOT of investors and doing work with older people whose kidneys can't handle the banging around.

IFS doesn't matter to me really...this thing will only see 4wd when it snows...

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    After towing heavy loads with all three, I put the Chebby last with a toss-up between the Ford and Dodge. The Chevy just doesn't feel like a truck. The sitting position, steering wheel, dash, and controls make you feel like you are driving a car and don't help while towing 15,000 plus pounds behind you. What I hated while driving the D-max with Allison was the LACK of engine and turbo noise. Sure it's nice for daily driving but when towing it IS A NECESSITY to keep from buring up the tranny and save on fuel millage. When you can't hear the engine you can't hear the load on it to let of the gas a little to avoid unneeded downshifts. Downshifts on every small hill can get real annoying.

One more problem with the D-Max is the tranny/engine cutting out. That drive by wire stuff sucks, it's all electronic and has was too many quircks for me. If you get a D-max, a Standard is a must.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Originally posted by Broncocustom
    I would wait at least another year before deciding to go with the Duramax, just so they have some more time to work out problems the new engine might have. As far as the ford or dodge either are good engines. Both still have problems with there tranny's. Scott and I both get about the same miles per gallon. You know how I feel about Fords they have more torque and horsepower than the dodge but they also have 2 more cylinders. Both engines have many performance parts while the chevy only has a few on the market at this time.
    About the MPG,
    James must remember that I have a 5" lift and 35" tires...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Krawler68
    I remembered your lift and tires... I think I'm sold on a Dodge in the somewhat near future... I went and drove a new one with the 6 speed... that was one bad mutha...I don't care what the HP ratings are... it kicked butt... I got 18 MPG in town burning the tires through three gears at every stoplight... and I got it to 105 MPH on the highway before I chickened out...

AgDieseler
    Another nice thing about the Cummins is that of the big three, they're the cheapest to upgrade. Everything from hard components to electronics is a damn sight cheaper than anything offered for the powerstroke. Also, aside from exhaust and a few electronic gadgets, there isn't too much currently available for the Dmax.

In Defense of the Dmax Allison combo, although there is not much available in terms of hard parts, reprogramming the boost levels, rev limits and shifting characteristics of the truck is fairly straitforward. There is a lot of power to be had by flashing the computer. The Allison is a nice tranny, but not terribly efficient in terms of powertrain losses. Are any autos? But it is a nice combo and a far sight better than the old 6.2 4L80E combo.

Personal preferences aside, Chevy now makes a damn good truck.

Personally I like the 8100 ZF 6 speed combo in the GM products and will probably make that my next vehicular purchase.

I hate diesels. Vroooooooooooooooom...sssssssssss.....Varooooooooo oooooommm....sssssssssss

-Mark
    Last edited by mark; 06-12-2002 at 08:52 AM.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...