Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Duramax v. Cummins v. Powerstroke

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    For current diesel owners, when they go to ultra low sulpher fuel we will most likely have to use stanadyne type lubricant additives. Don't try investing in Stanadyne, however. They aren't publicly traded. Trust me, I've checked.
    ...or just stick some biodiesl in there. It will lubricate it better than your current dino diesel and have the nice aroma of popcorn coming from the tailpipe.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Well for one thing, as soon as the diesel particulate filters go on you won't just be able to turn your juice up because you'll be loading and regenerating your filter far too often. Anyone who wants some real balls will have to stick with an older truck, although I feel like if mine is only a little more powerful that a new one I'd trade for it and no smoke. I have to smoke bad to get their power... They are making enough now that I don't really see the need to modify them anymore...

For current diesel owners, when they go to ultra low sulpher fuel we will most likely have to use stanadyne type lubricant additives. Don't try investing in Stanadyne, however. They aren't publicly traded. Trust me, I've checked.
    Nutz,

do you have any links to these new requirements and particulate filters you speak of, as I will be looking to buy a work truck in the next few years and want to have one bought before this stuff is in place. This will probably be a F-550 or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

i thought they started installing that **** in the 07 model year

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Crap, that means I will have to start shopping soon.
    'Cause if she don't,

yeah the fleet trucking mag that i read at work ws talking about it starting in the 07 model year - that was heavy duty trucks though.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

AgDieseler
    The new 6.7L Cummins should be interesting. The Dmax is also expected to move to a two-stage turbo system in the near future.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    One thing I've noticed on my mom's 01 d-max is that sometimes the allison will slip a little bit under alot of power. On the newer models up to 04 I've heard that they don't do it, but now they came out with the LBZ code thing or whatever in 05 which puts out 650ft lbs. and 380 hp. I know they upgraded the allison too but I don't see how manufacturers are going to be able to continue creating more power without doing some serious h.d. mod's to the tranny's.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

If I throw the juice to the stroke, the tranny has trouble adjusting unless I take it easy for a little while before I romp on it. I would like to dyno mine, but I am guessing it is around 450 - 500 hp, and 750+ f/lbs. I really like the new 5spd auto ford has, I guess it is their answer to the allison. I still would prefer the 6spd, but that will have to wait for the 5spd to xplod.
    'Cause if she don't,

The manufacturers prolong the life of the drivetrain by severely moderating the power of the engine. There is a guy on coloradok5 who has swapped 2 chevy 6.0L's and one 8.1 into early blazers and naturally, he had to fully learn the wiring and computer functions to do the swaps. He said that even on the 6.0, the computer is programed to withhold power most of the time, so you can imagine how much the diesels are regulated. He was saying he disables the moderating feature when he does the swaps and one the first truck he did, it has gone through three trannies allready. They have 4L85E's which arent quite as strong as allisons but are plenty beefy in themselves.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I would love to learn how to program a diesel and see just what it would do. The only thing holding the engine back is the material it is made of and keeping the oil from burning up. Kind of like a turbine engine, it will run itself till it melts down. There are ways of improving the air and fuel intake to the point the engine couldnt keep up.
    'Cause if she don't,

anybody know anything about the diesel Toyota's offering in the 07 Tundra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH
    If I throw the juice to the stroke, the tranny has trouble adjusting unless I take it easy for a little while before I romp on it. I would like to dyno mine, but I am guessing it is around 450 - 500 hp, and 750+ f/lbs. I really like the new 5spd auto ford has, I guess it is their answer to the allison. I still would prefer the 6spd, but that will have to wait for the 5spd to xplod.
    So what mods do you have? There aren't many Powerstrokes out there that put down 500 hp. If you don't have big ass injectors you certainly aren't. Your tranny probably wouldn't hold up past 350 hp as most with autos grenade them and have to get a BTS tranny. My mods give most people 350 at the wheels and my clutch slips if I drag it too long. You might be disappointed with what the dyno tells you...

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    The manufacturers prolong the life of the drivetrain by severely moderating the power of the engine. There is a guy on coloradok5 who has swapped 2 chevy 6.0L's and one 8.1 into early blazers and naturally, he had to fully learn the wiring and computer functions to do the swaps. He said that even on the 6.0, the computer is programed to withhold power most of the time, so you can imagine how much the diesels are regulated. He was saying he disables the moderating feature when he does the swaps and one the first truck he did, it has gone through three trannies allready. They have 4L85E's which arent quite as strong as allisons but are plenty beefy in themselves.

sounds like he's messing with the trans shifting and pressure tables, not the engine configuration. The only power they hold back is for emissions such as spark timing to keep the chamber temp low so NOx doesn't form.

of course the transmission will blow up if you get the pressure too high, but it sure will shift strong and feel like big power.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    anybody know anything about the diesel Toyota's offering in the 07 Tundra?
    Its prob the same motor they have been using down in south america.

I heard something about dodge making the megacab in a longbed in the future. And the next version of the expedition is supposed to be longer to replace the excursion and available with a diesel.