Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: grinding question

Shaggy

grinding question

i am trying to cut the welds off my rear bumper so that i can get rid of it.... it is welded to the frame. i grinded on it where the grinder could reach... how would you suggest getting the rest out,.... here are a few pics

Shaggy
    passanger side
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shaggy
    driver side

Shaggy
    it is stick welded and the penetration is very good... i dont think fat people jumping on it is a possibility

cut the bracket in half with a torch/plasma/sawzall, then grind the rest off with the bumper out of the way.

cut part of your frame off with it...not like you haven't broken other parts of your frame off already

Shaggy
    the sawzall i want they wont have for a couple more days a sears... i want to do this tomorrow... i guess i am gonna cut the frame...it isnt that big of a deal i guess. i might just buy the one that is $20 more... it is half an amp higher and has everything else the same... i guess half an amp is worth 20 bones... who knows.... i just want to make some progress soon

ill be your pickup man
    i have a 6.5 amp craftsmans saawzall you can borrow. It would need new blades though.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Which sawzall are you looking at? I just got an 8.0 amp for Christmas. There's a 9.0 amp on sale, but it doesn't have the adjustable speed dial.

The 9.0 amp

I think this is like mine.

The one I got works great, and cuts body panels like butta' even with the crappy blades that came with it.

Shaggy
    i just told jayson to pick me one up when he gets off work... it is a 10.5 amp porter cable or something like that... it is $119 and he gets i think 10% off so that should cover tax and what not... so about 110-115

Shaggy
    where should i get sawzall blades... i got a 5 pack of craftsman ones at sears for 10.99... i say way over priced... i burnt 3 up already cutting one side and it still has a bit to go... the ones i got are 18 teath per inch... what are the best to use... Austin said something like 22 or something work better... but i didnt see those... i shut down when the cop car rolled by... we got em minors at the casa tonight and i dont have a clean wrap sheat. where can i get and what blades for cheaper than this

Go to Home Depot and get the Milwaukee "The Torch" blades. Those things will cut through anything, including a 70's one ton Chevy truck frame - your frame shouldn't be any stronger than that.

TXsizeK5
    try Home Depot...?

--looks like brett beat me to the punch.

Go to Home Depot and get a fistful of blu-mol aggressors...white ones with a red cross on them.
    Tonight I cut a piece of 4" wide 1/2" thick steel in about a minute.
    That should take care of your frame, or bumper (whichever is more convenient )
    they're still $2 a piece, but Milwaukee's blades (The Torch) are $3 each and only come in 5-packs

Edit: stoopid dial-up!
    I burned through 3 "the Torch" blades trying to cut a yota frame in half...never got through it...must be made of Kryptonite or something!
    Last edited by uglyota; 01-14-2004 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Shaggy
    what tooth count should i use... austin said that the 18 per inch would cut through thicker material better than it was cutting through my ****... it actually cut better/faster when it hit the frame. i cut the bumper bracket and then it hit the frame about half way down and the blade didnt burn up hardly as fast.