Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Working on the bender

Could also make something like this
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    yeah i like that idea. if you were really worried about it go with two braces.

this is a little bit stronger than your idea. yours gets a little thin in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well poop looks like that pump i bought might be worn out. I have to check a pressure screw but if that doesn't do it looks like we might be bending Derek's cage by hand this weekend!

I've got an order for a pump rebuild, but they don't know how fast they can get it!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Just got a call back, price is 60 for the rebuild and I could have it by Saturday, but it would be $40 for the shipping!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

You mean NO ONE in H-Town has a pump rebuild kit? There's got to be a place that has one in stock somewhere.

Lets finish this **** so Jerry can be proud of me for something

So my supervisor and his boss opened up their own shop to do the same thing we do at the university and half ass hired me. So you might ask, "How does this have anything to do with a bender?" Well we are setting up an 800,000 pound press that they had built.

For the past 2 weeks we have been working on setting it up and starting to get it wired up and the hydraulics plumbed up. It just so happens that something like this requires bending heavy walled tubing for the hydraulic line. I just happened to have part of the equipment to do this.

So my die won't work as the tubing required is 1.25". Darn, they had to buy me a die. I would have rather had a small pipe die for grab handles, etc... but I'm not complaining about a free die.

So this leaves me to finish the hydro part. Tommorow I'll make a huge gusset out of 1" plate and attactment point for the ram. Wednesday morning I'll weld up a half ass cart and weld on the gusset and attatchment point.

We'll be using one of their hydraulic pumps, as mine is still bunk.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Lets finish this **** so Jerry can be proud of me for something

So my supervisor and his boss opened up their own shop to do the same thing we do at the university and half ass hired me. So you might ask, "How does this have anything to do with a bender?" Well we are setting up an 800,000 pound press that they had built.

For the past 2 weeks we have been working on setting it up and starting to get it wired up and the hydraulics plumbed up. It just so happens that something like this requires bending heavy walled tubing for the hydraulic line. I just happened to have part of the equipment to do this.

So my die won't work as the tubing required is 1.25". Darn, they had to buy me a die. I would have rather had a small pipe die for grab handles, etc... but I'm not complaining about a free die.

So this leaves me to finish the hydro part. Tommorow I'll make a huge gusset out of 1" plate and attactment point for the ram. Wednesday morning I'll weld up a half ass cart and weld on the gusset and attatchment point.

We'll be using one of their hydraulic pumps, as mine is still bunk.
    Tell robert we need to test this bender while you make me a cage for my bronco.

I can tell you how to build a small pipe bending die, its easy, no machining required.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    It just so happens that something like this requires bending heavy walled tubing for the hydraulic line.
    Just a question, and not meaning to be a smart ass or anything.... But why would you not use regular pipe and socket weld 90's? I am not sure that bending tubing like you are doing really preserves it strength for holding pressure? We have bent grease tubing like this that holds ~1500 psi, but anything bigger we just use a hose or socket weld, or if you are a bad ass butt weld connections.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Whats a socket weld?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    Just a question, and not meaning to be a smart ass or anything.... But why would you not use regular pipe and socket weld 90's? I am not sure that bending tubing like you are doing really preserves it strength for holding pressure? We have bent grease tubing like this that holds ~1500 psi, but anything bigger we just use a hose or socket weld, or if you are a bad ass butt weld connections.
    Why not use pipe with flanges?

Edit

Robert was a pipe fitter back in the day he should know how to hook that crap up

why not just use standard hydraulic line and 90* elbows and standard hydro fittings or flexible hose made a your local bryan ho's?

The fittings cost something like $40 a pop for 90's. That adds up too a die pretty quickly. Regular pipe can't be used for some reason.

The hydraulic engineer told Robert that abrupt 90's will screw with the velocity of the fluid and make the ram travel at different rates. This would be no bueno for what we do.

Lastly, what do you *******s care? I'm getting a free die and motivation to finish it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Whats a socket weld?
    Once again, not to be a smart ass, I was just curious. A socket weld is a type of fitting, shown below, it has a spot for the pipe to slide into the fitting, and it is easier than a but weld. The pipe kind of goes in like a NPT fitting without threads. The only down side to this is there is a gap on the inside where stuff can build up, so if it has to be clean (food industry) you can't use them.

Regular pipe raised face pipe flanges are usually rated to 150 psi or 300 psi, you can get several 1000 psi flanges but they cost, that is why they are not used a lot on hydraulics.

You probably can't use normal pipe cause one you would have to use schedule 80 or 120 for those pressures and 2 if you used carbon steel it would have to be pickled or you would have to use stainless.

The tubing will probably work, I just had never seen it done that way. But hey, Doug is getting free stuff out of it, let it be.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I have seen a lot of those and the threaded ones also at the Co-op on our trucks and ag equipment.