Thread: can I use atf in power steering?

TXsizeK5

can I use atf in power steering?

i heard somewhere that you can use ATF if i don't have power steering fluids. I bought some atf with that stopleak in it. Is it ok to put in the pwr steering, or no?

i used it all the time when my power steering was leaking alot, i think it is still in there not that i changed the hose.

Pump still works fine......knock on wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

yes, but not if you are running a ram assist

TXsizeK5
    yes I am running hydro-assist. so then ATF is a no-no and I gotta stick with pwrsteering fluid?

Originally posted by TXsizeK5
    yes I am running hydro-assist. so then ATF is a no-no and I gotta stick with pwrsteering fluid?
    hey chief, power steering = hydraulic assist, and I've ran ATF in all my vehicles for ps fluid.

if you mean hydraulic ram assist, you have to use powersteering fluid or the ram will leak.

TXsizeK5
    if you want to get all technical and ****. yes i have hydraulic ram assist

chevsu
    we run ATF on alot of hydraulic stuff with rams and motors and never had a problem. isn't ATF like a hydraulic oil anyways.

AgDieseler
    ATF has about a million conditioners and antifoaming agents in it. Sound like shampoo, right? It will work in a pinch (like on the trail), but good power steering fluid is ideal given its expansion rate. Hydraulic fluid is easier on seals, and is more resistant to compression than ATF.

So hydraulic fluid is best if you've got assist? In my normal power steering systems I've used power steering fluid, ATF, 30 wt, and 15-40 to name a few and never had a problem. The motor oil was a trick my grandpa showed me, it stays in longer in all those leaky fords.

TXsizeK5
    that's good to know. thanks dieselboy.