Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $$$ :brew: for 350ci engine tuneup

Violentv8toy

$$$ :brew: for 350ci engine tuneup

Any takers?

I need the engine timed (by ear) and the q-jet tuned so that it runs as good as it can possibly run. (its running pretty good...just a tad bit rich and it hesitates a bit) its a carbed 350 btw.

50 bux. If not....anyone suggest a good b/cs shop that will do it for a decent price? Sometime next week would be great.

I gotta get it shaped up for mason cause it sorta drinks gas.
    Last edited by Violentv8toy; 01-29-2004 at 12:35 AM.

TXsizeK5
    I thought you were gunna tow it?

I get about 10mpg. You get atleast that?

Violentv8toy
    I am gonna tow it...but i still want it running decent so the fumes don't kill anyone. (not that it would, but i'd rather have a good running engine than one running like shiat...especially since i spent so much money on it)

aggielr
    well i've got a timing light and i did ok on my q-jet, so for a case of beer, i reckon i might be able to help ya out, pm me tommorow

Violentv8toy
    Well the thing is that i don't have a timing tab and i rotated the harmonic balancer a bit when i fixed an oil leak so theres no way to time it using a light. You gotta do it by ear....which is not hard, but its tuff since the timing and q-jet tuning need to be dead on.

All you'd really need is a vacuum gauge mostly. Also, my truck is still at home...i'll have it here next week.

TBI !!!!!! can't cost more than 200 to do that hole truck and that would be on the high side. I'd put fuel injection on before a locker.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

BigRedFord04
    yes...i agree....when i rebuilt my motor i think i spent all of ZERO seconds tuning my EFI.

the 350 i've got to build will AT LEAST get TBI if not full port injection.

you should make it a vortec motor! I know a guy with some heads
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Violentv8toy
    start a TAMOR webwheeler fund and i'll consider it.

I don't have enough money to do that right now...i'll consider it in the summer. (i actually could have gotten a TBI350 for 400 bux minus pooter....but i was too stupid)

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    Well the thing is that i don't have a timing tab and i rotated the harmonic balancer a bit

you could set it to top dead center, mark it, then set up your own mark X degrees off

I have to do that to the ford this weekend.

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by robertf03
    you could set it to top dead center, mark it, then set up your own mark X degrees off

I have to do that to the ford this weekend.
    Yeah. Thats what i was thinking. How do i find top dead center though? Take out the number 1 plug stick the finger and crank it until i can feel it hit TDC?

Yeah. Thats what i was thinking. How do i find top dead center though? Take out the number 1 plug stick the finger and crank it until i can feel it hit TDC?
    yes, and take the valve cover off to make sure the intake valve is the one that just closed so you know you are on the compression stroke.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Well the thing is that i don't have a timing tab and i rotated the harmonic balancer a bit when i fixed an oil leak so theres no way to time it using a light. You gotta do it by ear....which is not hard, but its tuff since the timing and q-jet tuning need to be dead on.

All you'd really need is a vacuum gauge mostly. Also, my truck is still at home...i'll have it here next week.
    [i] How do i find top dead center though? [/B]

First of all, how in the hell did you get the balancer rotated without the crank rotating with it? Unless that motor is out of a early 60's chevy, it should have a keyway on the crank for the balancer to line up on.

Secondly, you're telling me you successfully swapped in a smallblock and don't know how to find TDC? But, as Robert said, you take the valve cover off and as Number 1's intake valve closes you should be close to TDC...then take out the spark plug and use a screwdriver or something to feel the piston come all the way up.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Originally posted by Fredo
    First of all, how in the hell did you get the balancer rotated without the crank rotating with it? Unless that motor is out of a early 60's chevy, it should have a keyway on the crank for the balancer to line up on.

Secondly, you're telling me you successfully swapped in a smallblock and don't know how to find TDC? But, as Robert said, you take the valve cover off and as Number 1's intake valve closes you should be close to TDC...then take out the spark plug and use a screwdriver or something to feel the piston come all the way up.
    YEAH FREDDY"S BACK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by Fredo

Well i was using a puller and i pulled the outer ring off a little bit and i put it back on, but it rotated a bit. Yeah it has a keyway, but if the outer ring rotated on it...then its no longer accurate.

Yah, i swapped in the smallblock and I didn't think i'd have a problem. I never said i was good at mechanics...i just like doing it. I'm not saying i can't turn a wrench or anything...i've just never worked on a small block before. (i'm learning..gimme a break...its not like I have no clue what i'm doing)

But seriously though....that sounds like alot of work for a minimal gain. i'm in the neighborhood of good timing...its not like it doesnt run well as it as already.

From what i've read and I know...I should basically set the timing as close as i can as possible. Set the idler screws 2 1/2 out...move out them out until i get optimal vacuum....them time it again and do it all over again until i get the right combonation. My problem isn't so much with timing. Its with the idle settings on my carb because I rebuilt it and don't have the correct settings.

If i found someone who's done it many times before, it could probably be done in about 15 minutes.