Thread: Dumb question about NV4500

Dumb question about NV4500

This is kinda a dumb question, but can anyone give me a physical description or something that would allow me to ID a tranny as a NV4500 or not. The truck is a 93 chevy, with granny gear, but it is a 1/2 ton (though it has all the towing goodies like heavier rear springs, etc.). The reason I ask is a mechnic friend swears the tranny is a NV4500, and there is the # 4500 stamped onto the tag on one of the little covers on the side. So I'm curious.

It is.

If you want to visually verify, click here.

If it's for sale, how much?

My friend had a half ton with an NV4500. It is one.

The only other option for Chevy was an NV3500 which is a POS.

yeah, its in my chevy, and its a NV4500. Only problem is its a 2wd, but thats really nothing major.

So here is my next question. What would it take to stick this thing up to say a NP203 or NP205? Or what other options are out there (gotta be able to handle a fullsize).

TXsizeK5
    \ou can find an adapter to mate it to a x-fer case i think. But anyway, you have the option of a 203, 205, 208, or 241.

203 is a full time case. 205 is the strongest, heaviest, but has a numerically lower low range. 208 and 241 have a numerically highr low range but are chain driven and alluminum casing. THe 241 is stronger than the 208 due to internal design. Take your pick. I'm sure there's more though.

yeah, I know some stuff about the older t-cases (203 & 205), but the new stuff is just that to me, new stuff. I had a 208 once, one giant POS. The 241 was what I was curious about, but it wouldn't work now that I think about it, as its a driver side drop. So, how would one go about hooking a 203 or 205 to the NV4500 (remember, its a 2wd tranny)? Are there factory adapters from the 4x4 nv4500, or would it require more custom stuff?
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 02-06-2004 at 02:32 PM.

If you used the NP241 you could throw a Ford front axle under it and be good to go.

TXsizeK5
    try looking thru advance adapters... what about an Atlas if you want to throw the $$ on it.

divorced yota case?
    Ottindustries.com?
    Seems like ford or somebody put divorced cases in stock applications at one point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

no yota stuff on this (and ugly, you know why I'm asking these questions, so you can probally guess the yota cases would not be strong enough)

A divorced 205 could work, but would most likely be to long, as well as lack the necessary gearing.

But, I think I've got the info I needed to answer a few questions I've had bouncing around in my head

Why would you wanta put a nv4500 in the x90?

Originally posted by eight
    Why would you wanta put a nv4500 in the x90?
    Don't make me come hurt you