Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame Swap?

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    I was thinking... a nissan patrol would be pretty sweet!
    Get your own unique POS...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

AgDieseler
    Patching the frame with 1/8" steel might be a good idea. Scott already mentioned it, but it really does make a great deal of sense if the frame keeps breaking in the same spot.

Chevy guys break their frames at the steering box, and after doing a weld-on repair kit, they never have any more problems. That may be just the ticket for you. The plus side is that it's cheaper and takes less time. You would be back up and wheeling a lot sooner. The only downside is that it wouldn't work if you are cracking the frame is multiple places.

I'm all for fixing what you've got. As a student, it makes the most sense.

big project + student budget = bad idea

I should have bought a Zuki 3 years ago and wheeled the piss out of it while I was building the Cruiser. This is not what I would recommend for you but it seems like a good idea for me in retrospect. I'd just do a break fix for now. Get a little bit of really experienced help on the frame repair and be done with it for a while. If you break it a couple more times over the next two years, who cares. When you graduate, everything will be different. I'd be willing to bet that what you want now is not what you'll want after you're out of school for 3 - 6 months.

If you really think you can fix it and not miss a trip, then take a shot. But if it were me, I'd take the trips and good times over reliability any day. Hell, mine is still that way. Lots of gremlins, but I've taken trips when I had a chance. I've missed out on a lot of good times over the years because I took on more with that project than I was really committed to doing. It became less of a priority every day. On the other hand, Scott knocked out a similar project in short order.

Some of it is in how much of a priority it is for you, but bottom line on all big projects is that they will snowball. The little things never make it into the pre-planning or if they do, they're underestimated, just continue to add up until it's a big thing. It always takes longer and costs more than you could ever think from the outside looking in. More time. More money. And from what I've seen so far, one is always going to be at a premium. Just when you get one licked, the other sneaks up on you.

Wheel the piss outta what you have and be happy for the memories. When it breaks, fix it and wheel it some more. It's hard to go wrong with such a simple plan. You're in college. Just have fun with what you have at your fingertips.

PS - I still need an 8274.

~dso
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Originally posted by davido

PS - I still need an 8274.

~dso
    For what the Duramax?

fbronco86
    tate and jbrown if you want to see how my frame is come over and look at it. Mine has never broken maybe its a little different up in the front.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by AgDieseler
    Patching the frame with 1/8" steel might be a good idea. Scott already mentioned it, but it really does make a great deal of sense if the frame keeps breaking in the same spot.
    Originally posted by Shaggy
    i have broken it 5 different times in 5 different places within 3 or so feet... bracing the broken part has just transfered the stess elsewhere...

we're probably going to split the cost of the frame if he gets another one anyway. i want his frame for a project in the making. i can box it in completely

Just get one of these.

Originally posted by eight
    Just get one of these.

what the **** is that? It looks like a walk around fishing boat with a center console.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by fbronco86
    tate and jbrown if you want to see how my frame is come over and look at it. Mine has never broken maybe its a little different up in the front.
    we have the same frames, both 86s
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Originally posted by JBrown89
    Yes, but mikes bronco was orginally a border patrol vehicle. This means it was strengthend by chasign down illegals!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    oh ok for some reason i was thinking you had an 80 sorry. I would like to see your pos sometime and check on my tires haha

Originally posted by Doug Krebs
    what the **** is that? It looks like a walk around fishing boat with a center console.
    That is an SSRV. It has 12" coil overs, 35" claws, 4 wheel steer, limited slips, and a 1.6 liter honda motor.

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by fbronco86
    oh ok for some reason i was thinking you had an 80 sorry. I would like to see your pos sometime and check on my tires haha
    For some reason, the wheels do not fit over the hubs on my 10.25
    I found a set of 35s w/ 16.5 last week, so if you need them back, just let me know. Thanks alot.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Originally posted by davido
    big project + student budget = bad idea

...but bottom line on all big projects is that they will snowball. The little things never make it into the pre-planning or if they do, they're underestimated, just continue to add up until it's a big thing. It always takes longer and costs more than you could ever think from the outside looking in. More time. More money. And from what I've seen so far, one is always going to be at a premium. Just when you get one licked, the other sneaks up on you...

~dso
    Well said!

fbronco86
    For some reason, the wheels do not fit over the hubs on my 10.25
    I found a set of 35s w/ 16.5 last week, so if you need them back, just let me know. Thanks alot.
    thats sweet. they fit on my dana 60. oh well i will take them back some time i am in no big hurry.