Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: driveshaft

dreed

driveshaft

so since i broke my dodge's driveshaft i get to get another one. is there any difference between a 1/2 ton short bed 4wd shaft or say an extended cab or long bed's shaft? is one longer than the other or do they all use the same one?

I'd assume they are different.

Front or rear????

dreed
    rear

fbronco86
    just make one out of a piece of pipe like ryan did.

BigRedFord04
    i'm pretty sure the driveshaft is the integral part of making the different wheel bases work. i didnt know until recently that in fords, a regular cab long bed (like seth's) actually has a 6" shorter wheel base than an extended cab short bed (like mine). they are different, but you can always have 'em shortened. the ends will most likely be the same and its cheaper to have one shortened than to have one retubed.

Whatcha gonna do with the old broken one?

dreed
    i dunno. i could put it on the shelf at rudy's maybe. other than that i dont have any plans for it. i'll probably keep the u-joint if it isnt messed up.

so there are no swb shafts at any salvage yard in town. they have a lwb one though. they said it was 2 piece. thats the closest thing i found here at the junk yards. there's one in conroe though for $125.

how did you make yours ryan? just cut the ends off the old shaft and weld it to the pipe?

Since you got nothing to do with it, I could use it for parts to make me a spare.

Isn't it just the tube that broke? It would cost about $100 to just have it retubed.

Yep, that's about how I did it. I think I may have just been lucky on the balancing of it though.

BigRedFord04
    i had mine retubed at seguin alternator and drivetrain. cost $60.

you can get it re-tubed here in town, BVD on 2818 down from the VFW or on College at Bryan Drive Train across from Chicken oil. That is what I would do, 60 bucks or so prob.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Both of those places said by Jimmy quoted me about $100 to retube mine. .095" is the thickest they'd go. Maybe if you check around enough you can find a place that will go thicker.

dreed
    ok, i'll check some of those places tomorrow to see what they'll charge. thanks.

JeepsterJayson
    Bryan Drive Train will take a while to get to it. He works alone and rebuilds diffs, trans, driveshafts , and all general mechanic work. I went in to have a drive shaft to be reyoked. He quoted $30 more than Austin Drive Train and it would take three weeks. I had it done in Austin because of the 3000 rpm driveshaft balance and same day work.

dreed
    i went to bryan drive train and he quoted me $150. i said no thank you. i would rather drive to conroe for a new one. i havent checked the other place yet.