Thread: Leaky Tranny

Leaky Tranny

My chevrolet is the awesomest truck in the world. I wouldn't trade it for anything, ok well yes yes i would trade it for just about anything at this point.

Anyway today there is a huge puddle of fluid underneath my truck. I thought it was oil, but oh no its tranny fluid. It's leaking from the seal inside the bell housing.

The tranny is a chevy auto, one of those electronically controlled 700R4's, I always forget the name, its in a 98 chevy half ton. I'm assuming that it has a seal right up front around the input just like a ford?

Anyway my real question is, is that seal leaking a sign of other things to come aka tranny is about to blow. I checked the fluid, it isnt burned or anything. Do you need any special tools to change that seal?

ANyway i cant really do anything about it right now since i am yuppie-ville houston, and i already pissed off my girlfriend's neighbor's enough.

any help/advice (short of lighting truck on fire) is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I'll trade you a 74 Scout with a non leaking 727 in it.

As far as the tranny is concerned, there is a pump seal on the front of the 4L60-E. It could have blown out. It involves dropping the transmission, yanking the converter, and replacing the seal. Not a fun job.

Another option is one of your cooler lines has ****canned and is leaking. They attach on the passenger side of the tranny about 6 inches behind the mounting flange at the back of the motor.

Hope it's nothing serious man. Give me a call if you have anymore questions.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

didn't you change that seal out when you had the motor out?
    Whoops! gotta love monday morning quarterbacks!!

edit: this is not a personal attack...have mercy on my soul

fbronco86
    I was thinking about changing that seal but we were trying to get the engine back in there and stuff. I am so dumb. Gosh i am so dumb.

Question: Is it ok to make a personal attack on yourself? I think that should be ok?

I think it was just a scare.....the puddle underneath my truck was all water-logged from all the rain we had in houston....so the resulting fluid look closest to tranny fluid. That combined with the way the tranny has been shifting the last couple of weeks made me think it was tranny fluid.

Upon closer inspection by mike and I \, in dryer conditions, it turns out that it is oil, brand-spanking new oil, seems the deuschebag at the oil-change place forgot to put the oilfilter on tight. the oild filter is on the backside of motor right up against the tranny. What little i could see made it look like it was coming from the tranny. Guess i'll be taking it the oil change place tomm.

Bastards.
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    I am thinking I should get some kinda of reward for all this work i have been doing on other people cars. First i fixed tate's bronco and now jerry's truck.

tate and jerry you guys owe me a beer haha

all i have to say is:

MY NAME IS MIKE, MIKE KNOELLER, AND I'M GAY, SO GAY
    So you loose, I win!

True Hollywood Stry
    Why didnt you just do it yourself?

{Quote by uglyota}
    Changing your truck's oil is like 'quality time' with a girlfriend. You get under there and drain her oil, watch it come out and look for chunks and sparkles.
    Crack a beer, take a rag and clean up under the hood while checking all her other fluids, wiggle the tie rods and make sure everything else is in good shape, then put the plug in, screw a filter on, pour in 5 quarts and fire her up.
    Feel your chest swell with pride as the oil pressure gauge rises to attention, watch and listen to it run for a few minutes, shut er down and check your oil again.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

His truck is too low for him to fit under it...

Originally posted by stx4wheeler
    Why didnt you just do it yourself?
    haha thanks Kev
    I was thinking about finding that and bringing that back up here, but was concerned it might be viewed as a personal attack on Jerry (joining the club)

Besides, quoting yourself is lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Originally posted by bburris
    His truck is too low for him to fit under it...
    easy there tubalicious...not a personal attack, its an attack on his gut
    So you loose, I win!

BigRedFord04
    .....or yours

why do you think my truck keeps getting bigger??

Originally posted by Snatch Adams
    easy there tubalicious...not a personal attack, its an attack on his gut
    I was talking about you, fool.