Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spring Swap

TRDyota

Chevy Spring Swap (aka Tacoma Build-up)

Over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be collecting all the crap I need to swap some half ton chevy springs into the rear of the Toyota. After reading the write-up on pbb, I've decided to do the double shackle set up, and weld on a new front spring hanger. The chevy springs are exactly 63" long, much longer than the stock Toyota springs. So, my first question is, where can I find some good leaf springs from a 1988-1998 half ton chevy (2wd is preferred)? I know there is Highway 6 Autosalvage, and then that auto salvage near 105 on 50 toward Brenham. Who has the best prices? Also, I remember Austin saying something about not being able to use jacks in salvage yards for liability issues. How in the heck am I supposed to remove leaf springs when usually the car is resting on its leaf springs on a stack of old rims?
    Last edited by TRDyota; 07-07-2004 at 10:49 PM. Reason: More descriptive title

BigRedFord04
    if the truck is resting on the springs just as the place to set it up on a set of rims to where you can remove them. the guys at gordons were pretty good about helping us remove the frame today. it was sitting on the axle and springs and they set it up on the "rim jackstands" every junkyard uses. try gordons. dont know that they have anything really new, but there was a 4x4 chevy p/u out there.

TRDyota
    donde esta gordons?

BigRedFord04
    take Hwy 6 north to 21, turn right on 21 and its 1/2 mile on the left. closed on sundays. open 'til 5 during the week and 3 on saturdays.

Yep, the guy at Gordon's was real helpful when we pulled Kreb's 3/4 ton chevy front axle. Probably the fastest time anybody ever pulled a 60 out of there in.

TRDyota
    Here is the front hanger. It's made of 3.5"x3.5"x0.25" square tube, and tapered so that it does not get hung up easily on rocks. How much should I expect to pay for a pair of front spring hangers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TRDyota; 02-22-2004 at 04:40 PM.

BigRedFord04
    are you buying those hangers or making them?

TRDyota
    Hopefully I can find a talented welder like yourself who can make them for me for a good price. If not, I will have to buy some CJ spring hangers which are not quite so streamline. How much would these go for at the shop you work at?

TRDyota
    I also need a mounting plate like this...

Those hangers shouldn't be too hard for someone to make for you. They look like an elongated version of the ones we made for my Jeep.

What kind of shackles are you going to use for this double shackle setup?

TRDyota
    Gonna take the stock toyota shackles and bend them flat against the frame. Then, I will connect the springs to the toyota shackles via the stock chevy shackles, but I am not sure what angle to use. Any suggestions? All in all, it should look like this:

BigRedFord04
    i dunno who made that drawing but they're a better fabricator than me. 19/32" to the bolt holes? screw getting that accurate. i'm sure we can make some for pretty cheap. how much longer than your stock springs are the chevy springs?

WHy do you need a new top spring plate? Aren't some Chevy springs 2.5" wide?

TRDyota
    Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    how much longer than your stock springs are the chevy springs?
    Good question...not exactly sure. The chevys are 63" with a "centered" centering pin. The toyotas have an offset center. According to PBB, the front hanger on a 98-2000 tacoma needs to be mounted 7.5" forward from the stock hanger (from eye to eye). The rear difference is supposed to be something around 4 to 4.5" (give or take). So do the math and you get roughly 11" or 12" shorter.

TRDyota
    Originally posted by bburris
    WHy do you need a new top spring plate? Aren't some Chevy springs 2.5" wide?
    yes, they are, and the toyotas are only 2.25" wide.