Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spring Swap

that top plate shouldn't be hard to make...just need a few minutes with a drill press and a tape measure...

Violentv8toy
    Use spring plates from a wagoneer. Small...compact...look good....perfect size....strong and won't bend. Thats what I did. Pick em up whenever u get springs.

In case you didn't know, move the spring hanger up ~11 inches and tack weld it. Swing up your axle and check it for center in the wheel well. Then check the length from your front tire to the back tire so its not cockeyed.

Double shackles are pretty easy to figure out....they *should* bolt right together and lay together.

I dunno the prices on em, i got mine in a trade from Blake awhile ago. I wouldn't pay more than 80 for the pair.

Expect some lift from it too. If you wanna see mine sometime..gimme a call. I've got chevys and my truck is back up in town.

TRDyota
    Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    In case you didn't know, move the spring hanger up ~11 inches and tack weld it. Swing up your axle and check it for center in the wheel well. Then check the length from your front tire to the back tire so its not cockeyed.
    Not neccesarily. Your truck had shorter springs than mine does. I'm certain that the new spring hangers are to be 7.5" forward. But do you have a pic of your shackle set-up?

It doesn't sound like you're interested in making your own spring hangers, in which case the ones sky makes or Budbuilt's are sweet and a good deal.

If you make them yourself, find someone with 3 1/2" x 1/4" wall square tubing and buy a couple feet. I ended up paying $16 for 2 feet from custom fabricators (on 2818). Mack said they carry it, but every time I called they were out of it.

I paid about $100 for a set of 3/4 ton leafs.

Oh, pulled the spring plates off an 80-something cherokee, but not all of them work, most are too narrow (kinda sickens me because I think I pulled them off a D44). Tractor supply has a pretty good selection of ready-made spring plates, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    yeah sorry. I totally forgot this was going on a taco. Well...either way, eyeball it and swing your axle up and center it. Not too difficult. I don't have a picture of my dual shackle...sorry.

my waggy plates work great. I was thinking about using a set on the front too. The hangers are easy to make. Get 1 ft of that tube stated above...cut it down to about 8" and cut them corner to corner and you've got 2 spring hangers. Grind them down when they're on the vehicle and they should look great.

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    The hangers are easy to make. Get 1 ft of that tube stated above...cut it down to about 8" and cut them corner to corner and you've got 2 spring hangers. Grind them down when they're on the vehicle and they should look great.
    Not quite that easy, but almost.
    There's a seam along one side, so you need about 2 feet, and you have to cut and drill so that you throwaway the edge that had that seam on it.

Where's your truck sitting, Mario? Shouldn't it be at the MSC?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    Right now its sitting at the muffler shop and im gonna go pick it up. I gotta have a little exhaust mod done to it. I'm really busy this week, hopefully i can get it ready to follow you sunday. You should see the drag link we fabbed up to tow it around with. It makes my inverted y draglink look like a true gem.

Sorry for the hijack.

TRDyota
    Originally posted by uglyota
    If you make them yourself, find someone with 3 1/2" x 1/4" wall square tubing and buy a couple feet. I ended up paying $16 for 2 feet from custom fabricators (on 2818). Mack said they carry it, but every time I called they were out of it.
    I took a look on Onlinemetals.com, as suggested in another thread, just to get an idea for steel prices. I don't know if the price included shipping or not, but for two feet of the specified square tubing I need was somewhere around $90. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. How much should I expect to pay, roughly, for two feet of 3.5" x 0.25" square tubing?

Holy Geez!

I would expect to pay...um...how about $16 for 2 feet?

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by TRDyota
    I took a look on Onlinemetals.com, as suggested in another thread, just to get an idea for steel prices. I don't know if the price included shipping or not, but for two feet of the specified square tubing I need was somewhere around $90. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. How much should I expect to pay, roughly, for two feet of 3.5" x 0.25" square tubing?
    Jebus Christo!! were you looking for titanium??

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...owunits=inches

go to bryan iron and metal. they'll hook you up for under $20 i'm sure. tell them Austin sent you.

What am I on everybody's ignore list?

Bryan doesn't carry it.

Mack says they carry it, but never has any.

Custom Fabricators on 2818 has some and will sell it to you for $8/foot plus $1/cut (spend the extra buck to have them cut it in half for you because it's a pain with cutoffs)

TRDyota
    Alright, I did some looking around on the web today, and contacted some people from TTORA. It appears that rather than wasting money buying "racing coilovers" such as Fabtechs or Donahoes, a popular alternative is replacing the stock front springs with Old Man Emu springs to get 2" of lift. This will be a much cheaper set up, and about the same performance. Additional shocks will have to be purchased. So, I have gathered a list of questions, and any insight to these questions would be much appreciated.

1.) I will have to buy 4 new shocks, regardless, so what is a cheap, but good shock?

2.) The OME springs are on one retailers webpage for roughly $135 a pair. Is this a good price, or does it seems kind of high?

3.) The OME 882 springs are made for a tacoma that has a heavy winch bar on the front. These "heavy duty" springs are supposed to get around 2" after they settle. The 881 springs get around 1.5"-2" before they settle. I need as close to 2"-2.5" as possible to get these 33" Mudterrains to fit. If I put the "heavy duty" springs on to get a full 2", what will it do to my ride?

4.) How much work/what do I have to do to install lift springs?

And, I think thats it. Thanks a lot.

Ben97XJ
    The OME springs have the reputation of giving lift and great ride too. If you want good ride and are not too cheap then get the OME springs and shocks. If you are cheap then Doestch 3000s shocks ride good and are like 30 a piece. You might look into getting the 882's and a 1 inch spring spacer. That should put you about right you can always trim down the spacers.

TRDyota
    Okay, after a little more research, OME means what they say when they say not to buy the 882's unless you have a winch bar, otherwise you get a rattle in your CV's at highway speeds, causing them to break. However, 881's with spacers will work. So this idea is pretty much set in stone for me. However, the issue of shocks is still at hand.

The Pro-Comp ES3000's sell for about 100 bucks for the set of 4. Does any body know how well these perform?

Any better suggestions for shocks? I am open to anything right now.

The procomps work fine for me. And so do my BDSs, and ranchos.