Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spring Swap

Violentv8toy
    well the thing about shock location is flex and efficiency.
    I think that even if you got 14" travel shocks in stock location that you'll use em up either way. If you mount them / \ you can flex throughout the cycle but then you take away from the effectiveness of the shock by mounting it at an angle.

I'd just do long shocks in the stock location. But i'm not sure if they'd fit. You might wanna look into that. If you've only got 18" from eye to eye after the lift, you ain't gonna get 14" travel shocks in there.

/ \ would be unique and easy to do. We could probably do all the mounting for about 15 bux.

TRDyota
    How much travel shocks would I need to complement this lift in the rear?

You'll probably need to do it then order the shocks. It's not too bad to drive around without rear shocks if you're not hauling much.

I have 14" travel shocks on front and they're straight up and down, mounted outboard of the springs. But I only get about 12" of travel at the shocks, but the wheels go further because they're out more. So it depends on how far out your shocks are mounted. They're probably inboard of the springs so you'll get alot more wheel travel than shock travel, so shorter ones will probably work. I don't think I'd want less than a 8" travel shocks. The way my rear ones are mounted I only use about 6" travel anyway. They're inboard on the axle and angled forward about 30*.

TRDyota
    Bought the steel today from Custom Fabricators. Bought 2 feet and had them cut them in half, as specified by Ugly, and like Ugly said, it was right at $18. Those guys are pretty nice; I would recommend them for any of your metal needs. Also picked up the springs from Gordon's today. One is almost perfect, and the other has a fair amount of rust on it. Anybody have a sandblaster that I can rent?

You got a compressor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Violentv8toy
    yeah, custom fabricators on 2818 is where we get our metal. They're cuts are free. Ya know, if you need 2" of square tube...they'll actually cut 2" off for you and will divide the price by foot by 12 and you only pay for what you get...unlike some people who charge by the foot either way. They let you go out into the back and look at their supply too. Way cool people.

TRDyota
    Originally posted by uglyota
    You got a compressor?

Nope, Tate and Austin have a purdy new one, maybe I can talk them into letting me use it.

Originally posted by Violentv8toy
    yeah, custom fabricators on 2818 is where we get our metal. They're cuts are free. Ya know, if you need 2" of square tube...they'll actually cut 2" off for you and will divide the price by foot by 12 and you only pay for what you get...unlike some people who charge by the foot either way. They let you go out into the back and look at their supply too. Way cool people.
    Hmmm...they charged me a buck a cut, and looked at me like I was crazy when i told them a friend had told me I could probably get diamond plate scraps cheap. I like bull****tin with the guy that cuts at Bryan Iron and Metal
    Originally posted by TRDyota

Nope, Tate and Austin have a purdy new one, maybe I can talk them into letting me use it.
    maybe they'll let you use their blaster too then. I'm sure it's nicer than mine
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Shaggy
    you should just use a wirewheel

Violentv8toy
    hell, just use a hand wirebrush and paint it and call it good.

TXsizeK5
    Originally posted by uglyota
    I like bull****tin with the guy that cuts at Bryan Iron and Metal
    Do they even speak Anglish?

yeah, the guy that was there when we went was standing in for the regular guy.

Originally posted by Shaggy
    you should just use a wirewheel
    I think that was your answer, Brandon

Shaggy
    wasnt saying you cant use it... was just saying that there is no logical reason to sandblast them... it would be easier, take less time, and be way less mess to just hit them with a wirewheel and throw on a coat of paint... they are just springs and will eventually rust again... even if you have several good coats of paint

TRDyota
    Maybe I should give them a good sand blastin' for now, because they have a lot of rust on them. And if they begin to rust more in the future, then I can spot-clean them with the wirewheel. I think I may paint them with that graphite paint talked about in that other thread, just so long as it is cheap.