Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spring Swap

Violentv8toy
    we're out there...stop by for moral support

Violentv8toy
    starting back up at 3:15...don't be scurr'd now.

TRDyota
    Well, we worked on the swap on and off periodically throughout the day. Got mostly done. Now it just needs shock mounts, shocks, shorter shackles, and the old sping hangers need to be torched. Oh yeah, and the front needs to get lifted...

P.S. Pics are coming shortly, gotta resize em real fast.

TRDyota
    before...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TRDyota
    Chevy springs (bottom) versus toyota springs (top). Notice the negative arch overload on the toyotas. Also, the toyotas are thinner and flatten out at normal stance.

TRDyota
    After...gonna get some weird looks from people until I can get the front done.

P.S. I know its dark, but deal with it.

TRDyota
    Mario did an amazing job tacking and welding the front hangers, as well as rigging up the shackles to accomodate the different widths (upper and lower).

TRDyota
    These leaves are a lot softer and more flexible. The ride is already so much better, and that is without shocks. What a cheap and easy way to lift, not to mention the increased performance is phenomenal (sp?). Total, I think I spent 125-150 bucks on springs, hardware, and metal. The front will cost just about the same.

I would like to thank Eric for reaching out to some noobs and letting us use his tools and driveway, even though he wasn't even there.

Also, thanks to Mario for his welding and expertise and spring plates and time and so on.

P.S. Eric, you need to spray some WD-40 on your hi-lift. I almost killed Mario.

Violentv8toy
    Originally posted by TRDyota
    P.S. Eric, you need to spray some WD-40 on your hi-lift. I almost killed Mario.
    Brandon: Whoa, that went down fast!.....that was bouncy!....Mario...Mario?

And I totally had you scared that you killed me....

TRDyota
    My first reaction wasn't that I thought I killed you. My first reaction when the bed fell was,"Wow, these springs are FREAKIN bouncy!"

....No offense. We are doing some work on Mario's truck today, and a little on mine. Mario just got some new spring bushings so he can remount his front springs. Its gonna go down at about 1 or 2 this afternoon. Anyone is welcome to come out. My number is somewhere in this thread.

FTAco07
    Lookin good Brandon. How much lift did those springs get you?

TRDyota
    Springs...3", plus or minus some
    Shackles...2-3", for now.

I'll only be able to lift the front bout 3", so I am gonna drill some different holes in these shackles to bring it down some. Driving around tonight (without shocks...***) I realized that my headlights covered a distance of bout 20 feet because I have 5-6" lift in the rear with no front lift. Looks so goofy right now.

James, when are you puttin more lift on the Chevy? ***...

EDIT: Or, since I used chevy springs on my toyota, I got some toyota springs you could use to lower your chevy, but somehow i don't think thats what you want to do.

Mack84
    you have the texas tilt goin' on

TRDyota
    ***...yeah, it is pretty bad. If it was someone else driving it, I would point and laugh. I just want to ride around with signs on my truck saying, "Its not finished yet!". .

FTAco07
    It's not as bad as some guy drivin around in a ranger semester that was goin for a prerunner look. His front end was prolly 4-6" higher than the back.

As tempting as it sounds to go for some stock yota springs I think i am going to stick with my 6" spring pack.