Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Electric fans

aggielr

Electric fans

I think I'm going to use electric fans rather than put the flex fan back on the 304. I've found some of the universal thermostats through Summit, but I was wondering if anyone here had a good source w/ lower prices. I don't want some cheap pile of crap, but if its decent quality and cheaper than $60 I'd be interested.

And a 16", 2400 CFM fan should work well enough to keep the V-8 cool right?

I've had bad luck trying to figure out what aftermarket thermoelectric switches are available. What did you find, prices, etc?
    Get a taurus (lincoln, sable?) fan and wire the high speed to your thermo switch (through a relay), low speed to a key-off auxiliary switch in the cab, and an in-cab override switch to shut off everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

aggielr
    Last edited by aggielr; 02-24-2004 at 12:14 PM.

Cool...did you find any of the type that just has a little copper bulb that you stick in your upper radiator hose (they come with flex-a-lite kits, but I don't know if you can get them separate)? Do you think I could have a piece of tubing made to put inline with a radiator hose that would hold that screw-in thermostat (since I bet it's not metric)? Thanks
    Edit: that's what I was looking for!
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

aggielr
    i might try going to the parts house and runnin through the catalog and finding a switch that fits in the stock thermostat housing on top of the intake and wiring it myself using a manual switch inside as a back up if i ever want to turn it off or if something goes out, i can easily bypass the temp switch and run it manually, but i don't want the one that you stick under the radiator hose like the last one i posted, i'd rather have one like the first 2

You know it was coming!

aggielr
    what was coming?

Landon. I allready went through napa's books and any I wanted were about $40 and not in stock. Most of the switches turned on above 200 degrees and I was looking for something more like 180. Then I found an adjustable switch kit at autozone for about $17 and bought that. Then instead of hooking the fans to it like its instructions said, I bought 2 relays to run em (2 12" fans) off of. Then I put all this stuff on the shelf in my shed.

aggielr
    so are u sellin all this stuff you've got or just waitin for some time to put it together? either way let me know, i'd like to come check out the install and get an idea of how to do mine or we can try it on mine and see if you want to try it

I'm keeping it untill I get motivation to do it again. I had to move the radiator forward to fit them and then noticed that I didn't need them anymore cause I finally had enough room between the stock fan and the radiator. And one pissed me off when it bit my finger. You can come look at it if you want. I should get home at 4:30 today or I could bring the switch to the meeting tomorrow. I never really even looked at the switch to know how it mounts or anything.
    Last edited by eight; 02-24-2004 at 12:52 PM.

aggielr
    yea, bring it to the meeting, i'll take a look at it, see if it'll work for me, if not, guess i'll see who i know at the parts house

Tariqui
    this is the switch i used on my fan its at summit racing there isnt a url but there is a part number DER-16749 if you look it up on summit it is there its adjustable 150-240 degrees witha 3/8 probe that i skrewed into a port on my intake manifold. its only like 40 bucks

Josh...is this thing essentially the same as the last one landon posted, except that it screws in? This port on your intake manifold puts the probe in your coolant? You gonna be at the meeting?

Tariqui
    the probe is directly in the coolant if i unscrew it fluid comes out and it is the same as the one he posted i think just that it is no a painless wiring kit and is 20 bucks cheaper i will be at meeting on wed night

anybody know where I can get a 3/8"NPT bung?