Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Electric fans

True Hollywood Stry
    the one that came on my bronco is a flexalite unit that has that brass part that goes in the radiator hose like eric mentioned, and mine doesnt have a temp switch just a control that i chose how much and fast it should be running or not at all. I think mine is like a 15 inch or 16 inchdoes fine all winter long but under serious mud and sand it wants to get hot during the summer, but that is just because the radiator in my bronco is not the stock one and isnt big enough to cool the 460. you should be fine with the 15-16 inch in your jeep landon. just my .02
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

BigRedFord04
    as long as you have a temp gauge and you're not a retard, thermostatic switches are I would also think twice about running a crapload of current thru a relay. i melted a couple of them on my fan setup before i switched to a solenoid that can handle 80 amps. the solenoid was like $17, Borg Warner p/n S55. it looks like a standard Ford starter solenoid, but those wouldnt work either because they're part-time. this one is 80A full-time duty. i ran power from an ignition switch source to the switch in the dash, then out to the power in on the solenoid. battery power comes in one side of the solenoid then goes out to the fans. if you ever want to turn them off you just turn the switch off like you said. when its cold like it has been i hardly ever turn them on and the heater warms up a lot faster . i did this drawing for a tech writing project a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

aggielr
    yea, i know thermal switches are , but they're easy and kustom , i'm going to run a thermal switch and a manual one inline just in case

okay, here's another one
    does the relay (or solenoid) eliminate the need for diodes to prevent feedback through the system as the fan winds down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

you just wish you had fuel infection like me so you could worry about frying your electronics
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Tariqui
    holy crap you all are making this thing way more complicated than it really is. My fan pulls like 26 amps at start up and 21 while running and puts out 2500 cfm. it is switched to come on at like 170 degress. i installed a manual shut off so i can turn it off when i want. the thermo switch i bought hookes from the battery by a fused link with 35 amp fuse and then connects to the fan. It took me all of 30 mintues to cut wires to length and install it. i have no idea what starter solenoids and diodes have to do with wiring in an electric fan spend 39.75 from summit racing and get one it has a 3 year warranty on it

aggielr
    i think Austin might have had a problem trying to run 2 fans on one relay, but i can't remember if that's how he had it set up

if he did, that explains the need for a HUGE relay (starter solenoid)

BigRedFord04
    yes, there was only one relay in the original "kit" i bought that was supposed to be for wiring up foglights. the relays burned up. thermo switches are very and i kinda see them as ONE MORE THING to leak should a problem occur.

is a solenoid just a big relay?

aggielr
    some of them are, some are continuous duty and some are part-time, most starter solenoids are part-time, meaning they only handle large currents for short periods of time, but the ones Austin is using are more like the relay's they sell in those kits, except his is rated to something like 80-100 amps i believe

aight so if a tore-ass fan can pull up to 130 amps at startup, is it gonna burn up a solenoid that's rated to 80amps continuous?
    PS Austin is the solenoid on your diagram missing a ground?
    Last edited by uglyota; 02-25-2004 at 01:30 AM.

stinger7401
    its grounded through the mounts, and by the way, electric fans are , manual fan will never go out, burn your vehicle to the ground, draw to many amps, short out your fuel injection system or kill your alternator/battery.

Have had a manual on my jeep for years, been to the llano many times, crossed deep rivers in colorado and have never had a problem.

BigRedFord04
    hey! mine's only caught on fire once! i would think that the part time load on the solenoid i have would be higher than the continuous load. the thing gets pretty hot when its running full time. and yes, on the diagram it is missing the ground, wont work w/o it. and, nick, i actually did see a rather dramatic change in HP and gas mileage right after switching to electric fans. less drag on the motor.

Shaggy
    landon, doug said he had a "badass taurus fan" he would sell to you for $60

aggielr
    only $60, wow how could he sell it so cheap? I think i'll just make a trip out to the boneyard and pick the one up out there for $30, thanks though