Thread: Running rough...

Ingenloff

Unhappy Running rough...

Okay, so Eric, Mike, Kopecki, and Kevin were all really nice and stayed out at Rudy's with me for damn near an hour and a half helping me tweak the timing and the carb on the Beast....so, now it starts -better- and definitely runs a whole helluva lot better (ie. its not condemed to the driveway anymore), but running at higher speeds (starting between 35 and 40mph or so) the truck starts to shake; the faster I go, the worse it shakes. WHat I'm not sure is, is this an engine problem, or is it possibly something else (such as, I know the hub on the passenger side refuses to seat properly and has been slightly loose for sometime)??? Ideas? Anybody?

TRDyota
    Could be your allignment. Have you hit any curbs lately?

Did you get it aligned after the lift? You might get your tires rebalanced (I think you got them from discount, so hopefully you got the warranty), align it a little better, and fix that hub. You might also want to crawl under there and tighten bolts on the track bar and steering to just double check. I don't know how much you got to drive it after the lift and before this fiasco, but it may have had this shimmy all along.

Next time it happens, note the speed and rpms it starts shaking at, then back off a bit and shift down to 4th (3rd?). speed up and see if it starts again, and at what RPMs. If it's the same RPMs, it's prolly engine and we need to mark the timing with chalk and adjust it again. If it's the same speed (higher RPMs) it's chassis...start with wheel balance (free), then fix the hub.

You might also just keep driving it for a while and see if it goes away; i.e. your tires might have a flat spot from sitting so long.

EDIT: I just remembered you don't have a tach. You might try and guess what RPMs your at, or just see if it's happening at the same speed or not. Also might wanna invest in a *small* tach (not one of those monsters that blinds you at your shiftpoints)
    Last edited by uglyota; 02-26-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    if its an "engine" shake it could still be not enough fuel to the carb.

i agree w/ tire balancing, my 37"s like to throw weights all the time.

you know what the loose track bar shimmy feels like, make sure thats tight, cuz it could be the start of something bad.

Ingenloff
    Originally posted by bburris
    Did you get it aligned after the lift? You might get your tires rebalanced (I think you got them from discount, so hopefully you got the warranty), align it a little better, and fix that hub. You might also want to crawl under there and tighten bolts on the track bar and steering to just double check. I don't know how much you got to drive it after the lift and before this fiasco, but it may have had this shimmy all along.
    It was aligned somewhat haphazardly by eye....I think you're right though. The tires to seem to be a bit pigeon-toed; something my dad had pointed out before, but I, being the one non-engineer of the family, have more difficulty seeing it. I guess I'll be investing in those larger sized wrenches that I need for it tomorrow I can get it done; hopefully that'll work.

As for the hub, I'll have to yank it all out to see why it's loose, cuz if I remember correctly, the o-rings were seated well on the shafts, so I don't know why it wouldn't sit tight.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    i agree w/ tire balancing, my 37"s like to throw weights all the time.

Throw weights? As in they jsut fall offf? Or as in they move to a position where it's out of balance?

BigRedFord04
    they fly off. sometimes, if you listen carefully after you've had 'em balanced you can hear 'em hit the underside of the truck as soon as you leave the tire place.

That's why you use the sticky ones. You might have to bring your own but they will stay on.