Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dom

ill be your pickup man
    I do not know much. Just that I want 1.25" and I am using 3/4" heims, so I guess wall would be .25" I would really appreciate it if you could get me some. Let me know of a price for 8ft. Thanks Troy.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

then I bet you want 1.5" x .25 wall so your ID is 1" and you can use weld-in inserts instead of threading it.
    BTW I have just such an insert that was accidentally sent to me...can't remember if it's LH or RH, but half retail price if you want it (it'll save you a buck or two, and make me a buck or two).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

ill be your pickup man
    I planed on using tube adapters/inserts that require a 1in inner diameter, so yeah I guess 1.5" would be better.

The adapters/inserts I was going to by are $12.25 a piece. Austin, can you make them cheaper?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Shaggy
    that is high... i think nutz got ours for 6$... and i know he can make them not sure how much... he makes them for xtreme and they charge like 15$

You want 1.5" OD .25" wall DOM for your steering if you want to go that big. Get tube adapters from Coleman Racing. They're the bottom of that list - P/Ns 15589 and 15590. Search the Jeg's website for "QA1" and you can find the best price on high quality heims that have a lifetime warranty. You can also get the required jam nuts in packs of 5 from Jeg's. You'll have to sand the inside of the DOM a little to get the inserts to slip in, but we figured out that a brake hone on a high speed drill for a couple minutes works great.

If you want to get a little more reliable with things, then use the same size DOM with a different tube adapter. I got mine from Poison Spyder. Go to the "Steering" link below the "Tube Adapters" heading near the bottom of that page. You'll want P/Ns RTA7818 and LTA7818 to run the 7/8" shaft Chevy TREs. You'll have to sand a little for these to fit as well.

Registered
    For 1.5 o.d. DOM .25 wall up here in dallas will be $7.25 ft plus tax. Let me know if you want me to pick it up for you. With taxes it will be around $65

Troy

my inserts are from sardeson...sardesonracing.com maybe?
    I think you gotta call for a price on the inserts, though.
    The one i have is yours for 1 (one) Shiner Bock at the next meeting
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

BigRedFord04
    my COST for the inserts was $30 for 10. the ones we made to sell were ~$15 each. the CNC machine is like $90/hr. i'm just curious, even tho i have DOM on my steering, why is that what everyone looks for? i talked to the owner of Mack Bolt today and he said that DOM is mild steel, just like regular tubing, but said it is more exact to the ID. before he knew i was looking for DOM he quoted me $1/ft for 1.25" OD, .120" wall tubing. if its the same material, why spend all the extra $$??

i think a lot of people confuse DOM w/ chromoly...they're not the same thing, unless you specify, and then the prices get REALLY high.
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 03-01-2004 at 08:37 PM.

He has to have been talking about sch 40 pipe. I can't see how any DOM tubing could be only $1/ft.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    if its the same material, why spend all the extra $$??

i think a lot of people confuse DOM w/ chromoly...they're not the same thing, unless you specify, and then the prices get REALLY high.
    I think it needs to be seamless to use those inserts, or ream the **** out of it. also, it'd probably be stronger if the wall thickness was uniform, i'll bet hrew would bend faster than dom in a steering application.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    He has to have been talking about sch 40 pipe. I can't see how any DOM tubing could be only $1/ft.
    wasnt pipe....he gave the dimensions just like i asked for. It was HREW. i can see what flem means tho, the uniformity does make for evenly spread stress, instead of focusing it on a weak point.

i went back and read the "DOM vs. HREW" thread, i guess b.c. i'm now catching up to where y'all were back then. seems Triple S in Houston is the place to go. www.onlinemetals.com also seems to have some pretty decent prices, dunno how much shipping would set you back tho.

Registered
    Standard tubing is 1018 and the dom I get is 1026 so it is a little better than standard tubing you just need to ask what you are getting.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    you need the DOM if you plan on slipping in inserts. If you plan on threading it, it's not a big deal. DOM is NOT seamless unless you get seamless DOM (like Troy did)

My tie rod is 1.25" DOM, .25 wall threaded. I then sleaved it with some 1.5" sch. 80 pipe. Now, I don't have to straighten it after every trip...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

ill be your pickup man
    Found it for $3.50/ft. Let me know if anyone needs any.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4