Thread: New 4.88s - J&P SUCKS!!

Threaded View

BigRedFord04

New 4.88s - J&P SUCKS!!

So, i had to go get Adam's truck this past weekend since his friend was moving. Didnt think i could tow w/ the 3.55s that were in the rear axle so i ordered 4.88s about a week and a half ago from 4WPW, thank you to Scott's friend Jason for giving me a killer deal. Got Precision Gears and master install kit. Install kit came out of San Antonio and got here the next day, but gears had to come out of California and didnt come in 'til last wednesday. Once the gears came in i decided to take my truck up to work, and with the help of a guy from down the street set them up. NOTHING even pretended to cooperate and starting ~9pm we didnt finish until 7am. took the truck for a test drive and the rear end sounded fine, but there was a lot of noise coming from the transmission. After driving arond town about 15 miles i ended up at J&P at 730am....they dont open 'til 8. i sat and talked to the guys for about an hour and a half, asking if they could fix it by the next day, and they never offered a guarantee. So i just sat there...they did eventually start on it because one guy didnt have to do a project he thought he did. So after getting it torn apart, and put back together, seeing the amount of backlash that was in it they told me that i need a new, different carrier, that no one told me was necessary. I called Jason @ 4WPW back and he didnt even know that there was a carrier split. So, he hooked me up w/ the mgr of the San Antonio store who was AWESOME in getting me what i needed...shipped to J&P next day air from Ohio: FREE and ~30% off the carrier. once J&P got the carrier they let me know that it needed to be machined to accept the exciter ring so my speed sensor would work, so Lisa went to pick it up and brought it to Vilas, took about 45mins to machine it but i got it done, and the exciter ring installed. I sent the carrier back to J&P and they finished the install, then tried to charge me $50 for them getting new carrier bearings, which i had just gotten in my install kit. those charges were removed, and overall the owner was a sh!thead and i was not pleased when i was informed that they used a 3lb mallet to install my carrier and pinion bearings. evidently thats how they do them all. also, when i told the guy i had gotten the gears set to .008" backlash he asked me how i knew that, and i told him i had used a dial gauge...he replied, "gauge? what the f*ck for? we dont use no f*ckin' gauges". hmmm....this was coming from the guy who had driven turner andoe's jeep home the night before...and i know this b.c. i was there before anyone else and saw him come hauling ass into the parking lot, then into the shop where he immediately started working on it. they did at least compliment on the idiocy of putting an 8.8" in a Jeep . overall not happy w/ J&P, will never take them any business ever again, as i will advise to everyone else in this club. i know how to setup gears now, and am pretty confident i can do it at least as good as J&P, so it was at least a learning experience. Pics of MY install will be up on my photo album sometime in the future. Had to edit to do more *****ing....new gears towed the empty trailer to Dallas just fine. did my best to break them in before heavy hauling. had about 50 miles on them before i hooked up the trailer, and 250 before i loaded the truck. both times cooled completely beforehand. Gear oil in the rear had pretty much liquified on the drive back b.c. they used too thin of gear oil. it was also leaking out of the bottom of the diff cover because J&P doesnt believe in gaskets. in conclusion, J&P SUCK MY BALLS! that is all.
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 03-09-2004 at 09:53 PM.