Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ain't startin'...

Ingenloff

Ain't startin'...

So the Beast tries to crank - it turns and turns and turns, but doesn't start. It's getting a spark; and I know the battery is good. Nix suggested that I need to replace the fly wheel. Sound right y'all? Or is there something else I should look into....Also, if that is the case, would anyone be willing to help me fix this sometime this upcoming weekend (presuming this would be someone not goin to Chilifest)???.....in exchange for beer, and possbily even a home cooked meal, of course.

is it turning over really fast (as in, the engine's not turning over)? Or is it turning the engine over and not starting?
    Grab your distributor and see if it's loose again.

Is your starter turning, but not engaging? You might just pull the starter and have it tested, then you should also be able to look in and see if your flywheel is missing teeth. I kinda doubt that's the problem though.
    You should be able to replace starter parts cheaper and easier than buying a rebuilt one (brushes, solenoid, etc--if this is the problem).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

i think the starter for that truck is like $20....prob cheaper and easier to get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

$20!!!
    I hate foreign cars...
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Well since its getting a spark, I'd say its turning over. The flywheel shouldn't be the problem, nor the starter. Try running it on starting fluid.

Shaggy
    you out of gas?

Ingenloff
    Originally posted by eight
    Well since its getting a spark, I'd say its turning over. The flywheel shouldn't be the problem, nor the starter. Try running it on starting fluid.
    I've tried the starter fluid...still ain't firing....However, someone mentioned the starter, but if it's turning, then that shouldn't be the problem, right?...I guess I'll check it anyway.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Shaggy
    you out of gas?[/QUOTE]

No, I have 'bout half a tank.

Anyone got a socket set I can borrow for a few hours? mine got stolen last week

Originally posted by uglyota
    Grab your distributor and see if it's loose again.

TRDyota
    $20!!!
    I hate foreign cars...
    Take it back! Just think about how seldomly something goes wrong on a well-built, foreign car. I know there are a few exceptions, but not too often, right?

Sorry for the hi jack.

Ingenloff

I'll get right on that, dad

True Hollywood Stry
    yeah my last starter was like $25 for a 2 or three year warranty. i would check the distributor if you need to borrow some tools gimme a call.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Originally posted by TRDyota
    Take it back! Just think about how seldomly something goes wrong on a well-built, foreign car. I know there are a few exceptions, but not too often, right?

Sorry for the hi jack.
    Thats right, just put your dignity in the back seat and your testerone in the small little trunk, and foreign cars are great...RIGHT JIMMY
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Originally posted by Ingenloff
    I'll get right on that, dad

Originally posted by TRDyota
    Take it back!
    that's great if you're choosing which vehicle to buy new or nearly new, but when prices on parts for an 85 furrin' car and an 85 domestic one differ by 500% I gotta say I'd rather have the domestic stuff

But I wouldn't trade my yota for anything (well, nothing anybody would be willing to trade me for it )

JeepsterJayson
    Come on Kate you took that Small engine class. If the engine makes a spark, your starter and fly wheel are fine. Look into your timing, plugs, and fuel dleivery.

Ingenloff
    Originally posted by JeepsterJayson
    Come on Kate you took that Small engine class. If the engine makes a spark, your starter and fly wheel are fine. Look into your timing, plugs, and fuel dleivery.

blah blah blah

Yes, dear, i realize this...but I was asking opinions since I no longer have any tools to work on half this stuff with....nor do I ever have a full afternoon to sit around and screw with the truck - too many tests these couple of weeks.